Duodenitis forever?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Comment from: Chad, 65-74 Male (Patient)Published: September 15After stent placement 8 years ago I was put on low dose aspirin. Then I started having digestive issues; diarrhea, epigastric pain, and indigestion. Doctors could not diagnose the cause. I was tested for H. pylori, gallbladder, pancreatitis, lactose intolerance, Crohn's, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), celiac and had 3 colonoscopies. All negative. I had 8 months of pain, malabsorption and weight loss (25 lb.). During this time I took many NSAIDs because the doctors would not give me painkillers. I found out later this just made my condition worse. Finally I had an endoscopy and gastritis/duodenitis was the diagnosis and I was prescribed 40 mg omeprazole. I felt good almost immediately. After 2 years I was feeling pretty good and quit taking pills. I thought I was cured. But after 3 weeks symptoms returned. Now I am on Protonix 40 mg and don't think I'll ever be 'normal' again. Much of what I have read says that these problems usually disappear within weeks/months of beginning PPIs (proton-pump inhibitors). Not for me.

any help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, or even a nurse but my doctor fixed my hiatal hernia because he said prolonged use of these medications can still scar the esphagus and cause bigger problems down the road.  Bariatric or Laser surgeons can repair this easy surgery for you.

• Posted

Hello regarding this discussion I don't take PPI's or h2 blockers for those reasons also but did not know about scarring of the esophagus what more can you tell me about that are you talking about the medications causing this or by not using them.
  • Posted

Do more research on proton pump inhibitors and h2 blockers anything that permanently shut down your gastric juices can cause other problems and cause certain cancers just because your gastric juices are not there anymore and you need them research why you need your gastric juices it needs to be controlled a different way with diet and no drinking or smoking. You're going to have a major relapse everytime you go off them until your body starts producing some acids again your body can't digest without your stomach acids when proton pump inhibitor shut down your acid it opens up a whole world to bacteria just read it's just a band aid
  • Posted

I had the same and it did heal from taking ppis. But if i overdo it with fruit, wine, green tea or high acid coffee it comes back. Finding which coffee is low acid helped me the most. And I keep the fruits to a minimum.
    • Posted

Mary......how long did it take for you to heal?

thanx Den

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.