Duration of Kidney Stone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I'm 27 years old and have my first kidney stone. It's .4mm. I've done blood tests, urine tests, 2 ultra sounds and a Ct scan. The urologist gave me some medicine to help dissolve it . It was three bottles of something , I can't remember the name. Whatever it was , it had no effect .

I am not in any sort of pain. My urine does not smell nor is it dis coloured. There is no blood when I pee. I have a discomfort in my lower back on the left side (kidney stone is in the left kidney )but that's about all the "pain" I get. (sometimes I get a slight discomfort in my lower abdomen, but it's nothing to talk about )

I drink about 2 liters of water a day but it's really annoying because I have to pee every 15 minutes. Even if I drink another fluid, I need to pee regularly. I can safely say it's because of the kidney stone because I never had this peeing problem before.

It's been maybe two months and there has been no change. The discomfort is the same as from inception.

Should I be worried? Is the kidney stone suck in my kidney? Will I eventually pass it out ?

Thanking you in advance for your responses.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There's an area within the kidney where your stone might be and it's larger than the tube below. Have a look online at a diagram of a kidney and you will see the zone. Many people have stones that sit there and they don't know because they never give any pain - until the stone tries to move down.

You could ask about lythotripsy - getting it zapped by sound waves which is non-invasive. This might fracture it down to small easier-to-pass pieces. You might need more than one session, but it's a pretty good option that comes only wild slight discomfort during the treatment.

Otherwise, it will stay the same, get better, or get worse.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.

​Are you saying that the sone will not pass naturally and my only option is lythotripsy?

• Posted

No, not saying that lythotripsy is you only option. It might pass on its own and you can aid this by drinking plenty of water.

But, if it shows no sign of moving down and it is giving you pain then you could mention this to your doctor to see if it is worth having done.

I get the impression that doctors would rather a patient pass a stone without any assistance, other than painkillers, but sometimes,they prove too stubborn or too painful and something has to be done.

Lythotripsy is not a painful procedure - slight discomfort only.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.