during and after flares

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone else suffer from pains under the ribs on the left side, during and after flares. Feels like insides are ripping or stabbing when moving or knocked?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think the pains vary from person to person; muscles tend to go into spasm so the pains are not always closely linked to the actual site of the pain itself.  My main pain is normally lower left abdomen; and can go on for many days or even weeks after a flare up.  It feels like I have been kicked in the gut by a small pony!!! (And as one who got kicked in the legs by a small pony many years ago; I know what that feels like!!).  Do try taking ACIDOPHILIS from Holland and Barrett (20 billion strength) the UK health stores; healthy bacteria for the gut which have reduced my bouts from ten in ten months; to one in ten months.  And of course follow the no seeds; nuts; pips; wholegrains and skins rule (all those tough little bits that can get stuck in the pockets and sit and fester for days and then the infection hits.)  I dont even eat bananas now as actually they are FULL of tiny seeds.  Good luck with this B***** of a condition.  I have had it since 2006.
  • Posted

I've also got UC and it's not quite into remission yet a year on with diverticulitis - lots of fun stuff and it took two hospital visits to start the proper process so over that course of time, long story short, it took a while to get properly on the road to being sorted.  I don't have the ripping feeling in the rib area (that was on the left hip where I could actually feel stuff moving past it - kind of like rubbing your hand on course sandpaper where most of the problem is located (when I had an attack back in January))... though with the ribs.. just the very full feeling or pressing and sometimes a bit of burning though that's more left sided and up and under the ribs.  Oh yer and twinges like misfiring but one of the paradoxical things is that even with the colitis, I also suffer constipation as it's trying to make its way through the inflamed areas i.e. on the way down to that left hippie area....  
  • Posted

I was diagnosed in October 2015 with DD I've had 4 flare ups since and am currently having a flare up. Being treated with metronidazole and amoxicillin. Pain has been quite severe this time with different symptoms. I usually get the left lower pain but this time as well as that pain I've also had an uncomfortable full painful feeling all along my left abdo from top to bottom. I've not had a bowel movement now for 8 days. Had explosive diarrhea last Wednesday and nothing since. GP prescribed Laxido sachets and a suppository to get things going. No affect from 1st suppository but used a 2nd one this morning and I did pass a stool but of no significance really. Still feel really uncomfortable down left side. GP also prescribed Fybogel to use once flare up has settled to aid things along.

Has anyone else suffered with this degree of constipation and if so what helped. I've taken prune juice and increased my fluid intake which has not been easy due to nausea.

• Posted

It took two picolax as I was prescribed that in hospital with constipation problems as well as bleeding heavily. I could actually do both extremes on that poo chart at the same time!!!! They started with two laxidos and nothing - little diarrhea and lots of blood.. it was that picolax (or as I call it - pixie dust) that finally got me to go properly.  You need a prescription for that.  Apparently it's the less of two evils which they use for clear outs  for a colonoscopy.

I was so constipated that I could feel it right around my ribs and I actually had trouble breating - like I was gasping for air at times! I didn't know what it was until going into hospital and thought it was me just panicing!!  Laxido as well now.... four times a day until the inflamation goes down though it's been a couple of months now and I am trying to go down to three a day.  Hope this helps a bit as nothing else seemed to work for me......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.