DVT - Radio Therapy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Completed RT for Prostate Cancer 18 months ago. On 8th August 2015, diagnosed with DVT. My GP tells me this could be the result of Prostate Cancer / RT.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good afternoon supercargo, after hearing what your GP had to say, what did you think about what  was said?
    • Posted

Good afternoon Gate Keeper.

After looking through my Medical Notes with her, I could follow her thinking. I was also dignosed with Radiation Proctopathy 28th May 2015, so I am probably apt to blame Prostate Cancer treatment for my recent ailments.

• Posted

I suppose it helps to know what caused your DVT's , in that now you know the cause.

It is something for other people who are about to have radiation therapy to watch out for. Thank you for letting everyone know about this risk, so that measures can be taken to reduce the chance of it happening to them. 

A very close relative had RT for his Ca. Prostate, also 18 months ago. He had surgery with the Da Vince Robot prior to the RT. He is doing well and was fortunate not to have had any DVT's. 

• Posted

Hi, I have heard that people with cancer are more likely to get DVT, it has been said that they have thicker blood and also that their treatment may increase likelihood.  Also being less mobile because of surgery and hospitalisation and other treatment may lead to a DVT. The hospital will do a risk assessment for DVT or VTE and medicate where required.

Please note that Inflammatory bowel disease also increases the likelihood of DVT, so if you have Ulcerative colitis or Crohns educate yourself on the signs, prevention and treatment of clots.

• Posted

Just completing six months on Warfarin. Thrombosis Consultant suggests DVT may have been caused by Hormone Therapy (Zoladex), completed two years of Zoladex in September. Next Oncholgist consultation due April, hopefully Psa remains low so I don't have to back on Zoladex.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.