DWP home visit

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi wondering if any of you folks have ever come across a review of your benefit claim home visit. Its seems never ending what the dwp ask of  you. I have recently had an appeal overturned from esa work related group to be put into the support group after 2 sucide attempts and recently been diagnosed with Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Aswell as this i have been attending CBT and i am awaiting to see a psychiatrist on recomendation from the CBT therapist to sort out my medcation as she thinks i may have bi-polar. All this stress is making my illness worse its one thing after another. Has anyone been through one of these visits and have you any information on what actually goes on in one of these visits 

thanks in advance 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi John did you attempt to kill your self because you have been put on work related group or you have a mental Heath issues? For the questions it depends .on how your health affect you daily ex bad days good days . And since when your ptsd started a therapist can't not diagnosed ,only psychiatric or psychologist can .for home visit they will ask a questions that are not related to your illness so have a career of a friend with you , ,good luck .
    • Posted

thanks for the reply nadnad the attempts of sucide was due to mental health issues and being in a work related programme with the staff trying to force me into situations that i was unable to do for my own safety and the safety of others in the work related offices i shall inform my outreach team to attend this meeting with me if possible,  theres an option for a meeting at the job centre instead which i am waying up as i think its an invasion of my privacy to have people coming round were i live i mean how would they like it seems excessive to be fair would this be a wise move?
  • Posted

Hi John

Home visits are not unusual I have had one myself. The assessor will ask you loads of questions about your condition and how it affects you.

There is nothing to worry about and it is far more convenient for them you come to you rather than the other way around, believe it or not considering your problems they are probably trying to help out.

Answer their questions but don’t offer too much information which could be misinterpreted e.g. I have felt better this week etc. Base everything on a bad day.

Also if you live alone make sure your flat is not too tidy! Apparently a messy flat is an indication of someone suffering with mental health issues!

• Posted

I think that what you are suggesting the poster does is to (a) stage manage the situation [making it appear as not the norm] and (b) you cannot describe just your bad days as that it attempting to overstate the problems they face on a normal day.

Many have been in court over this in trying to make out that the needs are actually greater than the reality of them.

• Posted

The fella asked for advice and I gave it. I know lots of claimants who have asked a relative/friend to clean their home up before a home visit and have been marked down. Also claimants tend to talk about their good days instead of bad. I never mentioned he should exaggerate his condition.

So your thoughts are completely wrong.

• Posted

Am I right in understanding that this is a visit to go through your claim as you are claiming a means tested benefit (ESA)?

If so, it is quite common for them to check up that nothing has changed to your financial position

• Posted

many thanks for the replys. As stated in the orginal post it says we are reviewing your benefit claim now it doesnt say which benefit as i am receiving ESA DLA HOUSING BENEFIT and COUNCIL TAX BENEFIT. The letter goes on to say we will be visiting you at your home so you can keep us up to date, after a discussion with my carer she was saying it could be the transition from DLA to PIP which comes to an end in 2017. I will go ahead with the home visit and make sure i have all the support here with me as i often get paranoid and confused so i will need support with me to explain what my situation is 

thanks for the advice 

• Posted

Hi John 

how did your visit go ? I am asking as I have had the same letter as you today and worrided

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.