DXA scans and what they tell us!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well, I have had my bone density scan, the second one after 12 months and the results were handed to me at the time.

In Australia, only the hips and the back are scanned.

The overall result shows further deterioration by -.2 for the back and -.7 for the hips.

However, what is interesting is the individual scores which are quite different from last year. For example, L4 has improved from -4.3 to -3.4, whereas L3 has deteriorated from -3.3 to -4, and L2 has also deteriorated from -1.6 to -2.8, thus producing an overall score of -3.6.

The hips also deteriorated from -1.1 to -1.8 which still keeps it in the osteopenia range as opposed to the back which clearly defines it as osteoporosis. Not sure how my lovely GP will view this as she is a very caring doctor.

I have not had enough time on my supplements to measure any impact they might have. Next year will be the test for that!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

It seems on balance that those scores are better than you might have hoped for. Obviously we could have hoped for perfect zeroes but that was never going to happen. It's quite odd that there is such a mixture of ups and downs which all come together to not mean a lot to me. Maybe when your caring doctor has seen these and analyzed them, you might let us know what they really mean.

On a slightly different note, my book refers to the use of folic acid which is part of the 'B' group. I had always assumed that this was involved with ladies and reproduction but it seems that this may not be so. (Got my researchers hat on again). If you have any information, I'd be pleased to hear it, but I'll do a bit more reading anyway.

All the best

Aristotle

• Posted

Thanks for that Anhaga, I just spent a little time with the book and apparently folic acid also helps in the detoxification of homocysteine, an excess of which promotes both osteoporosis and athersclerosis (narrowing of the arteries). Folic acid is found in green leafy vegetables, some fruits and grains. It may be that a deficiency really is a female thing because of a failure by some women to process homocysteine properly after menopause.
    • Posted

so starting to take folic acid should help with osteoporosis?

Also read the other day (not sure how old the research is?) that weight bearing exxercises do not increase bone mass but perhaps improve bone strength ( plus the fact that if u excercise and get more muscles then a less chance of falling and so less fractures) I have osteoporis and not had a single fracture despite heavy bad falls .(i have always excercised including free weights so perhaps my bone strengh is good) 

• Posted

Shaq, would be interesting to follow up that thought with consideration of apparent fact that the bone meds which are promoted to us improve density but not strength. 
    • Posted

I'm not 100% sure that folic acid will benefit you unless you have the homocysteine processing problem and I haven't found any reference as to how you detect this without medical intervention which I am currently reluctant to do since my faith in the doctors has been severely undermined by the lack of knowledge, interest and caring. There is a relationship between bone density and bone strength in that less dense bones exhibit more weakness because of the larger gaps in the collagen matrix. Large matrix = weaker bones. There is also the other end of the problem when the bone tissue is old and has become brittle and crack propagation becomes a problem. I never really thought that the technology courses would be of any real use. Wrong again!. Anyway I hope that this is of some interest to you and I'll keep searching for reasonable & accurate answers.

Best of luck

Aristotle

• Posted

This is interesting, Aristotle. I am trying to get mt head around it. Are you saying there is a connection between bone strength and bone density! Can you have one without the other? Less dense bones like mine are therefore weaker bones? 

I was hoping my bones though less dense especially in the back were still strong. Am I deluding myself?

• Posted

wish i could remember the website i read this on. strength trainnig leads to strong muscles and bones ....strenght training  can be anything from running  /dancing to weight training. From my personal experience I have had a few nasty falls (including 1 a couple of months before my diagnosis) and no broken bones. I walk/  jog 3x a week and do various upper body exxercises with small weights  as I walk on the treadmill wearing ankle weights also. i do this 2x a week .  30 mins to 45 mins each session .
    • Posted

Hello Kathleen, nice to hear from you.

I actually don't know whether you are deluding yourself and I'm not 100% certain of how this works but my understanding from the book and from lectures and from mechanics, is that the strength is initially gained from the collagen matrix which is supported by the zinc and calcium. Poor matrix gives low strength as well as low bone density - there's little for the calcium to stick to and no calcium = no strength and low density.

The more calcium sticks, the higher the density and the greater the strength. This is all based on my understanding of the book and mechanical engineering and some logic.I haven't read anything or watched any lectures that lead me to believe that it is any different but that doesn't mean that this is the absolute truth. There are almost certainly things that I haven't taken into account because I don't know about them. This has been a very steep learning curve mainly aimed at getting me sorted out and if I can help anyone along the way, it makes me even happier. I always did like helping people.

I do hope that that sounds alright to you but if you spot anything that doesn't follow, isn't logical or just isn't correct or supported by evidence, please do let me know. Between us all we have a lot resting upon the accuracy and thoroughness of what we now do.

I've probably burbled on for far too long again, I don't really intend my posts to be over long, it just happens. You may notice that I no longer refer to a particular book or Doctor. This is at the request of the moderator who thought that it may cause adverse comments. Quite happy to oblige, I'm sure that all those with a need to know about whom I'm referring, already do and anyone else can ask and I'll send them a private message.

Really am stopping now, typing is getting quicker by the second!

Nice to be in touch again.

Best wishes & regards

Colin

aka Aristotle

• Posted

Hello Kathleen, our paths have somewhat diverged and I wondered how you are fairing. Life for me has continued much as before except that I now perform specific exercises and follow a much more regimented diet. I am still quite determined that I shall beat this affliction and I have begun to follow the ideas laid down in the book. The thing that gave me the greatest surprise was that the main foundation building block is zinc. Without the zinc the rest has little value but very few of the OA sites even take the time to mention this.

I seem to remember commenting about the relationship between bone density and bone strength but when I read it back, it didn't read correctly. Bone strength is related to the toughness of the bone and high bone strength will usually mean that the density is fairly high.  The reverse is not necessarily true particularly since high bone density which is mainly due to old bone cells will not be tough or strong and may be susceptible to crack propagation and fracture. That is not say that high density bone will not be tough and strong, just that without a scan you can't be certain.

I have made my own way and now know of others of a like mind. It's quite sad that many have other afflictions that prevent them from completing the exercises which seem to be so necessary.

I do hope that things are going well for you, you helped me to settle into the forum and I much appreciate that.

Do take care Kathleen, bones can break very easily if things go wrong.

Kind Regards

Aristotle

• Posted

For OA sites, read OP sites.
    • Posted

G'day Aristotle. At the moment we are away from home visiting the grandchildren in Canberra. 

I recently added zinc to my regimen of supplements.

I am also eating six prunes a day based on your esteemed doctor's advice.

It can only help.

You sound determined and organised.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

Nice to hear from you

It sounds like you have the supplements/food things under control

Yes I am incredibly motivated - can't remember the last time I felt so fired up about things and its something over which I can have influence

Enjoy your visits.

Will keep following your posts

Bye for now

Kind regards

Colin

ala Aristotle.

• Posted

Yes, we have some in our fruit-bowl. Hadn't spotted those in the lists I have and still can't find them but I'll take your recommendation and now primed, will spot them when they're mentioned in my reading. How much is the TDA? We usually only have these with fruit salads but quite happy to have fruit anytime.
    • Posted

Sorry that should be RDA (recommended daily amount)
    • Posted

I've got the blurb on the Kiwifruit but can't post it here. If you want a copy, message me and I can send you either a test file or a link to the site

Regards

Aristotle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.