Dysphasia-Endoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am due to have an endoscopy soon because I have been having difficulties swallowing food.I am fine with liquids,but anything solid feels as though it will get stuck and my throat closes.

Has anyone had the same and does it get any better?

Really worrying about the endoscopy!

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am too having problems with eating solid foods.  I feel like it gets stuck in my throat too and have been having liquids only for the past couple of months!  I had an endoscopy test done a couple of weeks ago and I was really nervous about it too but I have private health cover through work so had it done at a private hospital near home and the agreed to give me a GA and put me to sleep for it as I was that nervous about it.  I am due to see my private Gastro doctor this evening to go through results and medication etc.  I am currently on 30mg lansoprazole daily which has made it a bit better and I have tried the odd soft foods which has gone down ok.  I think that I will feel better once I get told that all is ok etc.  Are you on any medication at the moment, are you watching what you eat even though its just liquids?  Just try and think the Gastroscopy will be a means to and end and then you can worry less and take something that will help you.

Hope that helps.

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for replying.I am on omeprazole,have been for 4 years,I was on 20mg a day,but dropped it last year to 10mg as I heard that being on them too long could cause stomach ulcers.I am now on 40mg a day,but not much better.

Just had my appointment through-14th May!Another 2 months of this,I have already lost 10lbs in less than 3 weeks!

I manage cereal for breakfast,soup for lunch and something with plenty of sauce for dinner and that is it!

Chocolate makes me produce so much phlegm aswell?

I am supposed to be going on holiday before my appointment,but how can I enjoy it with this sad

• Posted

The more you get anxious the worse your thrioat will feel, ie feeling of closing up, try to not worry, it is usually over in 5 minutes and I#ve had two. it's really not worth being sedated, I just had the spray, there is no pain.
  • Posted

I totally agree about there being nothing to it.  I'm the worst worrier for any medical procedures and was frightened of having the endoscopy but when it came to it I made sure that I as calm and breathed slowly and swallowed when I was asked to and it slipped down with no gagging or anything and just one gag when it came back up.  It was over in about five minutes, I was able to see the pictures on the screen and was told that I had a few poilyps which they would do nothing about and also that the muscle that is supposed to keep closed is slightly open which means stomach acid comes up through it when it shouldn't.  I didn't have sedation and was out within the hour and was on my way to Devon for a long weekend.  I had a slight sore throat but no other problems with it.  It isn't half as bad as you think it is going to be.
  • Posted

Just had my appointment through-14th May!2 more months,I have already lost 10lbs in weight in less than 3 weeks!
    • Posted

Hi, There is never any rush with these type apppointments which is annoying!  May be ring up nearer to the time and see if there are any cancellations to save you waiting this long. Although I went private in the end and didn't have to wait too long.  I got my results on Wednesday and all is fine apart from an acid problem so I am still under my gastro dr until they get me right and trying to mix different meds at the mo to see if that helps and have been told there is two other tests they can try, a Barium swallow and the PH testing - have you had any of these?

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

No,haven't had the barium swallow,it was mentioned,but GP thought it would be better to have the endoscopy first!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.