Ear fullness and sudden hearing loss in one ear

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 38 years old and in pretty good health. Almost 3 weeks ago I awoke in the morning with my right ear feeling plugged, but not the normal "I have a cold" plugged. It turns out after seeing an ENT that i had suddenly lost some of my hearing.

I just finished a 2 week course of prednisone and my hearing has been mostly restored which I'm thankful for. What worries me though is that my ear still feels stuffed. Almost feels like I have cotton plugged in it.

Can anyone tell me if this is something they have experienced or know what this is and if this subsides eventually?? It's terribly annoying to deal with, especially outside.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Do u have any other asocciated symptoms along with blocked feeling.... U disnt mention if a CT scan or MRI has been done

• Posted

Did the ENT start you on steroids or offer you the steriod shot in your ear.  This is the standard treatment for sudden hearing loss.  I went through the same thing about 1 year ago.  I think it is common to also have a MRI to rule out Acoustic Neuroma.  For me it did take a few weeks before I recovered, not sure if the steriods helped or just recovered on my own.
    • Posted

I took 12 days of prednisone pills. The hearing has gotten better but it still physically feels like I have cotton in my ear even though I'm hearing better. Was your situation similar? Hoping the ear fullness just takes a little more time to regulate.

• Posted

I think the next option is the steroid shot.  This is stronger and has better recovery results than the oral steroids.  You might check back with the ENT and see if this is worth trying.  The sooner after the hearing loss the better, so don't delay.  Other than that, you might just need to give it some time.  It did take me a few weeks before I felt close to 100%.  

• Posted

FYI, the shot is given through the ear drum right to where it is needed.
  • Posted

Hi matt

It could be a fluid build up in your middle ear.  Mine was caused by an ear infection caused by the flu.  Antibiotics and penicilin cleared the infection but left me death with lots of popping and crackling.

My doc tested my hearing with a musical tuning fork.

I could barely hear it with my death ear and could mostly hear it with my "good" ha ha ear.  Then he put the tuning fork in the centre of my forehead.  I could hear it clear as a bell with my death ear (first thing I had heard in weeks) and barely hear it with my "good" ear.

Within seconds I was swallowing yucky stuff.

My ears continued to drain for 8 hours with 2 major mouthfulls and 2 very significant dizzy spells.

Today my ears aren't completely better but there is an 80% improvement.

I tried finding info on sound waves draining ear fluid but couldn't find anything.

I hope this helps and wish my doc had tried it weeks ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.