Ear infection that won't go away with 2 rounds of antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. My 18 month old toddler has been on 2 different antibiotics to treat his ear infection. We went today for a check up and the infection is still there, so he was prescribed yet another 10 days of antibiotics. I am not happy about having my kid on antibiotics for a month! He doesn't have a fever or pain. Has anyone been on a similar situation? if so, have the antiiotics finally worked? Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello daniela,

I'm sorry to hear about your child’s ear problems.

I have no personal experience of this but I found the following information on the NHS website...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/coughs-colds-ear-infections.aspx

It would seem that it may naturally clear up if it's virus related, which would explain why the antibiotics hasn't had any positive effect.

In the meantime, keep on top of pain relief, but would personally avoid anti inflammatories like ibuprofen and naproxen, but if it's necessary I would make sure it's only administered after meals, and sorry to get into detail, and check that what is coming out of the other end, if you see any signs of blood, dark red to black (also take into account what's in the diet, as some things come out less digested), and if vomiting occurs, especially with blood, seek medical attention immediately. NSAID's, anti inflammatories, can cause gastric bleeds, especially when used in highddoses, and/or long term.

Always read the Patient Information Leaflet that should come with every prescription and over the counter medicine, and if there isn't one, either ask the pharmacist, or find it online by searching '{insert medicine name here} PIL'.

I hope some of this helps.

Best wishes, hanb

• Posted

Oh, and it is, in my opinion, wise to give your child a pro biotic, like acidophilus, yoghurt, or a pro biotic multi vitamin.

*hugs* hanb

• Posted

hi daniela sorry to hear about your son. I have been throught this with my son he was having infection after infection and no matter what antibiotics they gave him didnt work. He was sent to ENT because he failed his hearing test, they thought he had glue ear (fluid inbetween the ear drum) he had an operation to have gromits but during surgey they realised he didnt have any fluid so they sent him for a CT scan, it was then they told me my son has bilateral congenital cholesteatoma, it means he has cells that get trapped inside the ear which causes bacterial infections and the only way to get rid off the infection is surgey, my son is 6 now and hes had 4 big operations but 7 in all, he also has hearing aids now. i know it sounds scarey and i dont wont to scare you but there is no harm in making sure he doesnt have this diease, it is rare and if it isnt caught in time it can be very serious, its not just there hearing it can affect. after the first operation they could remove it and he could be fine, but with my son it just keeps growing back. i know its not what you want to hear but there really isnt no harm in making sure, you seem to be having the same problem i was having at the start either get a hearing test or ask GP to send you to ENT, it could be nothing worry about, if you have any questions you want to ask ill be happy to help if i can, i hope your son gets better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Tina for sharing your son's experience. I'm sorry to hear about all the hassles that you have had to overcome. We are going to be referred to an ENT if this round of antibiotics doesn't work. I'll definetely ask for a hearing test and also whether a cholesteatoma is a possibility. He seems to have no problems hearing since he has no speech delays, and actually has already a quite reach vocabulary, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I do have a question for you. Was your son continuosly in pain before it was diagnosed? My son right now has no symptoms at all, but the doctor says the infection is still there. 

Once again thanks a lot for your input!!! 

• Posted

Thank you daniela, no my son had no symptoms when he had the infections, didnt say it hurt or anything. I didnt think my son had any hearing problems at the time, he was abit delayed in speak but no one was worried about it, not even the health visitor. They will give your son a hearing test at ENT.

We only realised he had a problem when his younger brother had grommits put in so they just wanted to check him over.

Im sure your son wont have it, thank you daniela and anytime.

• Posted

Is there any conclusion to this? My son is experiencing the exact same symptons and getting the same prescription of amoxicillin. If you don't mind me asking. How did this resolve for your family?

thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.