Ear pain and pressure associated with Ménières

Posted , 5 users are following.

Over the past few months, my Menieres symptoms are bad.  They are mostly ear pain and pressure.  The pain is fairly constant now and I take painkillers when it becomes more severe.  Vertigo happens a few times a month.  The weather appears to greatly affect me, especially low pressures.  I feel like my head is a pressure cooker at times.  Just terrible!  I have to wait till April to see my Dr. and I am having the full balance testing done prior to seein him.  If it's not one symptom it's another!  And no one understands, except on this forum.  I am going to request the steroids, as this is no way to live.  At this point, I am desperate for relief.  I look at people walking past my house and think how lucky they are to not have this disease.  Sorry to be negative.  I am hopeful that my new Dr. Can help me!!  Tomorrow is a new day, and hopefully sunny and not overcast.  Also, I want to add that migraines seem to be quite prevalent in people with Ménière's.  And weather affects this too.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there. I know exactly how you feel. I find the weather effects me too. My diagnosis is now Migrainous Vertigo. Started 3 years ago. Been on trial of 7 different drugs. Last was Gabapentin but that didn't agree with me. Sometimes I find that Ibuprofen 400mg helps. Take it upto 3 times a day. I take 30mg Cinnarizzine when vertigo is at it's worst. Not sure if it helps. maybe takes the edge off a little. It can be very unpredictable most of the time and very frustrating at times. I do hope you find relief. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Louise - I can relate to everything you conveyed. I live my life hoping that tomorrow is going to be a better day. There are days that my tinnitus is so loud, I want to rip my ears off my head. I know however that I would still hear the loud, annoying hissing.

Like you, my head is controlled by barometric pressure. There are days I have no hearing in my left ear and the sound that I do receive is loud and distorted. Vertigo and migraines appear without notice, when I least expect it. My ears and head feel clogged and my good ear will pop and click at times. 

I hope your new doctor helps you. Please let us know how you're doing. I know you hate to sound negative and so do I. I have lost so much faith in ENT's.. They all seem to be a different breed and I honestly believe they are clueless on how to treat Menieres, Tinnitus and anything related to the middle ear. When I hear people say, their doctor told them, "just to live with it," it annoys me to no end. 

You didn't mention tinnitus so I'm hoping (maybe) that's one side show you've been spared. Again, I wish you the best and hope you find a level of quality in your life. Nobody deserves this. 

Glenn

• Posted

Hi Glenn,  Sounds like you have the same type of symptoms.  Sorry to hear you are enduring this.  Yes, I do have tinnitus also, sometimes quite loud but usually I try and not dwell on it, which is not easy. I agree that there are very few doctors out there that can effectively deal with this condition.  I will keep people posted on my tests and treatment.  I had high hopes for the Meniett device but it didn't help me.  I think this is what happens, try one thing then another to see what works.   Hope you feel better soon!   

• Posted

Having same problems. Today is a real bad day. Weather is going nuts. Changing by the minute. Snow , sleet , rain. , Freezing rain , windy. Episodes of vertigo daily. Real dizzy. Neurotologist is trying diuretics to start with to try to get rid of fluid. It's not helping. Agree with Glen. ENT was a waste of time and money. 3 visits and he did absolutely nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.