Ear wax issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have many problems with my ears but I thought I should make little in-roads and that is why I am posting this discussion.

I tend to get ear wax build ups very quickly and have had my ears syringed mulitple times in the last few years. I understand that this is not ideal for the long term health of my ears.

Is there something I can do reugalury at home that will stop the wax building up?

Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If your eardrum doesn't contain a tube or have a hole in it, these self-care measures may help you remove excess earwax that's blocking your ear canal:

Soften the wax. Use an eyedropper to apply a few drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal.

Use warm water. After a day or two, when the wax is softened, use a rubber-bulb syringe to gently squirt warm water into your ear canal. Tilt your head and pull your outer ear up and back to straighten your ear canal. When finished irrigating, tip your head to the side to let the water drain out.

Dry your ear canal. When finished, gently dry your outer ear with a towel or hand-held dryer.

You may need to repeat this wax-softening and irrigation procedure a few times before the excess earwax falls out. However, the softening agents may only loosen the outer layer of the wax and cause it to lodge deeper in the ear canal or against the eardrum. If your symptoms don't improve after a few treatments, see your doctor.

Earwax removal kits available in stores also can be effective at removing wax buildup.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Ear canal produces a waxy oil called cerumen, which is more commonly known as earwax.  This wax protects the ear from dust. When your glands make more earwax than is necessary, it may get hard and block the ear. You should take great caution when trying to treat earwax buildup at home.

1.   Use Over-the-counter wax softening drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal.

2.   UA bulb-type syringe may be used to gently flush the ear with warm water. 

Irrigation of the canal with warm water squirted from a syringe is also a best treatment option but uou should never attempt to irrigate your ear if you have an ear injury or have had a medical procedure done on your ear. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply healthange. How often do you think I should use wax softening drops? Or is that one for the doctor?

Thanks.

• Posted

Cautions or contraindications to ear irrigation (syringing)Posted about 15 hours agoThis information is taken from NICE/CKS guidelines in UK

Scenario: Ear irrigation

Age from 12 years onwardsBack to topContraindications, cautions and warnings

What are the contraindications, cautions and warnings for ear irrigation?

Do not use ear irrigation to remove wax for people with:

A history of any previous problem with irrigation (pain, perforation, severe vertigo).

Current perforation of the tympanic membrane.

A history of perforation of the tympanic membrane in the last 12 months. Not all experts would agree with this — some would advise that any history of a perforation at any time, even one that has been surgically repaired, is a contraindication to irrigation because a healed perforation may have a thin area which would be more prone to re-perforation.

Grommets in place.

A history of any ear surgery (except extruded grommets within the last 18 months, with subsequent discharge from an Ear Nose and Throat department).

A mucus discharge from the ear (which may indicate an undiagnosed perforation) within the past 12 months.

A history of a middle ear infection in the previous 6 weeks.

Cleft palate, whether repaired or not.

Acute otitis externa with an oedematous ear canal and painful pinna.

Presence of a foreign body, including vegetable matter, in the ear.

Hearing in only one ear if it is the ear to be treated, as there is a remote chance that irrigation could cause permanent deafness.

Confusion or agitation, as they may be unable to sit still.

Inability to cooperate, for example young children and some people with learning difficulties.

Use ear irrigation with caution in people with:

Vertigo, as this may indicate the presence of middle ear disease with perforation of the tympanic membrane.

Recurrent otitis media with or without documented tympanic membrane perforation, as thin scars on the tympanic membrane can easily be perforated.

Warn people with a history of recurrent otitis externa or tinnitus that ear irrigation may aggravate their symptoms.Back to topBasis for recommendation

These recommendations include information from the background section of a Cochrane systematic review on ear drops for the removal of earwax [Burton and Doree, 2009] and expert opinion [Mills, Personal Communication, 2007; Shanks, Personal Communication, 2007].

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.