Early morning nausea when lying on my side

Posted , 6 users are following.

i do not have any vestibular function in my left ear following vestibular neuronitis 7 yrs ago. I am fine but do get off balance from time to time. For the last month I have been waking about 5.00 am and when I try to go back to sleep get very nauseous if I lie on my side. Is this a vestibular problem ?? Decompensation 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like something I get from time to time.  It's called Benign Postural Paroxysmal Vertigo (BPPV) and usually goes away of its own accord.  There are also some exercises which help.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I did wonder about BPPV but it does not happen at night when I go to bed only early am on waking. I do have the exercises here somewhere so I will give them a go. I feel a bit groggy until about midday and then fine !
    • Posted

I feel sick in the morning (like morning sickness when pregnant) and have found eating a ginger biscuit helps. Don't know why!!

Pauline

• Posted

Jacquie, do you only get dizzy when laying on one side? If so, so you get less dizzy when your face straight and looking up to the ceiling or if you are laying on the other side? If so, I agree with Roseann that it may be BPPV. You can see videos of the Epley Maneuver and Dr. Carol Foster's movement on youtube. I would not recomment to wait until it goes away on its own accord since it is an easy fix. Keep in mind, the problem may come back and need adjusting again. There are so many reasons for dizziness, please go to a doctor ~ not just any doctor but one who specialized in vestibular issues / dizziness, or perhaps a neurologist to rule out neurological problems. If you are anywhere near Colorado, I highly recommend Dr. Carol Foster and her team. Please look her up.
    • Posted

Thank you Debira I don't get dizzy I just feel nauseous I was diagnosed with canal paresis 7 years ago and am mostly ok as my brain compensates - just not sure if this recent problem is decompensation or something else. I am in the UK.
  • Posted

This does sound like BPPV, the first P standing for Positional. That is, your balance is off when you're not in a certain position.  Also, if I get up quickly in the morning or if I turn too quickly to the right, I get dizzy. So:  I take them slow. You're probably not near NY, but if you are the otalaryngologist who got rid of my BPPV is Dr. Darius Kohan. Also, the vestibular therapy hospital he sent me to is the Rusk Institute, Langonne New York Hospital. The latter are predominant in this field and so is he. Maybe they could give you a referral in your city. I agree, it won't go away without the proper exercises. Best luck.
    • Posted

Hi Marion thank you if I was getting dizzy I would be sure that it is BPPV or decompensation but it's nausea. I am in the UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.