Early onset Alzheimers

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience with early onset Alzheimers disease? My mother suffered from this dreadful condition from the the age of 47 and eventually died at 56. I have been having memory problems recently and have been thinking of having genetic testing. I'm only 40sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do have the test but also remember that everyone can have memory problems at times. You don't say if you are stressed at work or home. This can cause memory problems. Day to day stresses can cause people to have poor memory recollections. My mother had Alzheimers disease for many years I do have slight memory problems but that is because I look after my husband who has Alzheimers 24/7 with no help or respite.

So to put your mind at rest have the genetic test and take a look and see if you are very busy 24/7 and see if slowing down a bit helps. Relaxation exercises whilst listening to gentle soft music will certainly help. Please don't panic. My husband is now 84 and has had the disease for 20 years. Yes it is bad now and he still knows me. He is on medication and has been since diagnosis. I fought for this and it helped a lot of suffers get medication that was denied and withheld by the NHS. Amazing what the threat of a public law suit can do. So if you are diagnosed it is not the end. You will be given medication thar will help you to function normally for many years.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply loretta. I'm sorry to hear of your situation but it's great that your husband still knows you after all this time. It's such a shame that my mum wasn't offered medication, she may well still be here if she was! Because she was so young we had such a hard time even getting her GP to admit there was a problem and in hindsight I know there was a lot she managed to hide from us. 

I have a young family and have suffered from depression since my son was born 5 years ago, I know this affects memory. I'm no longer taking any medication for this and my mind is clearer than it has been in years apart from the memory issues. I've been doing a little research and discovered early onset can be caused by 3 faulty genes and just think I'd rather know and start trying to slow it down if I do have it. I wish you strength to carry on, cherish every day your husband still knows your name x

• Posted

I treasure everyday I have him with me. Please have all the tests and take it from there. Some drs need sorting out. They let so many down. I can remember the Dr telling me that there was nothing wrong with my husband until I forced him to sit up and take notice. Yes they called me forthright and other names. However having nearly killed me twice I got the big guns out and my husband went through a 3 day test. This proved he had alzheimers. His xrays on his brain showed frontal and lateral atrophy. Now they believed me and said nothing they could do. I proved that wrong too. The starting medication was Arocept. Now he is on Reminyl and it works well.

I wish you well and hope you don't have alzheimers. My mother had it and refused to see the Dr or have tests.

My husbands family did not have alzheimers yet he does have it. It does not necessarily run in families. Please be brave and have the tests that will either rule it out or confirm it. Always remember the light at the end of the tunnel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.