Easy to take medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just seen my doctor today he's starting tests for IBS. I struggle to swallow tablets & wondered if there were easy to take meds that were effective in managing/preventing diarrhoea/anxious tums?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There are no tests for IBS other than eliminating other possible conditions first. If all your tests are negative, then IBS can be diagnosed. They can also try you out on different IBS medications to see if you show any improvement.  I take Buscopan which are very small and are one of the few medications that don't upset my stomach because they are mild.  However, I still have to to take masses of water to swallow them so that my throat doesn't push them back out.  With other tablets I have to soak them in water first to soften them and then take them back out and try swallowing them with a glass of water.  Perhaps try that technique.

• Posted

Agree with Pippa below re: tests but when younger my parents used to crush tablets for me with the back of a spoon.
  • Posted

I agree with the two responders. I've never been aware of an actual test for IBS. I've talked to a lot of doctors who have very different theories about IBS and what it is. In fact as far as I know, doctors stll don't know what the actual cause is. When I was young, for years doctors told me it was in my head, stress, etc. However, even on days when I was extremely happy I was sick like a dog. Soooooooo, what does that tell you LOL.. My guess is, he'll run some test to rule out any possibility of other conditions, AND to make sure there are no harmful bacteria or infections of any sort.

• Posted

My initial post was misleading. Dr feels I have ibs but blood tests ruling out coeliac and scans ruling out gallstones. Sorry for confusion!

I realise there is no specific diagnosis other than to rule other things out!

• Posted

Amy,

It is possible to have Coeliac, and still ahve IBS. Although I haven't had an official diagnosis of Coeliac decease, it is very clear I have issues with heavy intake of not only gluten, but large intake of wheat. Having said that I also have IBS (thank goodness controlled). It really takes a while to really diagnose IBS, It's almost like psychology in a way, when the practioner listens to their client and makes an opinion of what condition they have; sometimes it's accurate, and sometimes they're guesses.

• Posted

However, barkley is usually the exeption to the rule. Barkely seems to be the only wheat I can eat with no catastrophic reactions.
    • Posted

Ooops... I meant disease... LOL

• Posted

Correction, it is Buckwheat. That has no gluten. I forgot, I don't buy cereal often. The last box of Buckwheat I purchased was about almost 3 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.