eating 10 days after band

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm getting a gastric band in a few weeks. I travel for work a lot and have to go 10 days after the op on a conference where they serve lunch and dinner. I don't want to tell any1 I'm having the band but am starting to worry about hiding it while away. I assume I can get soup for lunch but what would be safe for dinner.

Also if something gets stuck ( this is a long term qs), do you have time to get to the bathroom to be sick or is there a likelihood of projectile vomiting over whatever poor unfortunate you're eating with

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lisa, 

From my experience, no, you won't be able to 'eat' solids 10 days after the band. I can share some of the 'excueses'/lines I've used in the past:

"Thank you, but I ate before I got here." 

"I'm recovering from a stomach bug and I'm still feeling a little delicate."

"I'm detoxing at the moment"

"Hmmmmm, there's nothing here I really feel like eating, I'll just nibble."

"Ohhhh, I'm REALLY in the mood for *a smoothie*"

Food getting stuck:  From my experience, again no. No projectile unless you are unable to get to the toilets in time.  I have anywhere from 3 mins to 10 mins to get to cover (so to speak).  Map out where the escape routes are and take your (work) phone with you so you can pretend you need to use it. If not, people could think you're bulimic. 

Most importantly, DON'T WORRY!! The more stress you're under, the harder it will be for your body (and your stomach where your band sits) to relax which could cause issues.

I hope this helps :-)

• Posted

Thank you yes that's very helpful. Will be using those excuses ☺
  • Posted

It scares me that at only a few weeks from your op that you don't know that you won't be on solid foods 10 days after your op ! This is a life changing operation not a easy way out off being fat, I'm not having a go but as a band failure  person and Olympic standered at vomitting  I'm so scared when I read questions like this please please make sure you know what you are getting into because this can change your life in a good way yes but also in a very bad way as well . Good luck 
    • Posted

My surgeon has told me that I will be eating mushy foods 20 days after. I'm well aware of the changes this will make.
    • Posted

I'm so glad  I just don't want anyone to live through the hell my family and I have had for the last 9 years as have others on this site have , good luck to you and I hope it's everything you hope for 
  • Posted

hi lisa - like you say, you will be able to have smooth soup so if this is on the menu that would be your best option - there are already some good suggestions to get out of the eating part of the conference - milky coffee would also be a good option as it is quite  filling - you could perhaps take some suitable foods which you could perhaps eat in private so that you dont starve - a yog for example is quite portable and would  be suitable - at ten days out i was still eating food that was the consistency of baby food with no lumps in - so basically i was putting everyting through a blender - perhaps you could feign illness or say you were getting over a tummy bug and really could not eat a full meal

as for getting food stuck - i have always made it to the toilet if this has happened to me both at home and whilst out - i can feel it happening - its no good having a drink in the hope that it will wash it down cos it doesnt - the drink just sits on top of it and it makes  more mess when it has to work its way back out - its not really like being sick cos it never gets as far as your stomach - it sits in your gullet - a kinda hiccup or burp brings it up infact it is often referred to as a PB which stands for productive burp.  you dont need to worry about projective vomitting - you really do have time to excuse yourself and you can control it for a few mins  - it is something you will learn to cope with given time and experience - hope the conference goes ok 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.