Echo

Posted , 3 users are following.

Any one have a weird echo, I went to have my echo today and the technician asked why I was having one, I said I use to have pericardial effusion, but I recently developed arrhythmia, having PVC. During the echo he asks me if they ever discussed how large the effusion was, I said the doctors dismissed it and said everyone has fluid around there heart and they did a wait and watch approach why do you ask? The technician then truned the screen toward me and said I still had a pericardial effusion, I told him at one point they sent me to a cardiac thoracic surgent to get the fluid removed and he felt at the time it was not needed. He then asked if I had prior echo's at that facility, yes I did, he then excused himself to look at the prior echo's. He came back and said that the effusion looked smaller, but when I laid on my back to get a different view of my heart he said that the effusion was unchanged. But it showed it was not compressing the heart and hopefully my body just adapted. He ended by doing my doctor will have results today or tomorrow. Should i be worried? I wonder if that what is causing my arrythmias?? And i understand you have a small amount of fluid naturally around the heart. I wonder if the doctor will compare all my echo's??? What does this mean?? Any one have this experince??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi first of I'm presuming your not in UK secondly if you are the rules state that your technician (sonographer) is not qualified to give you a diagnosis, they are not supposed to comment on the content of your test, the same as if you have an xray it has to be checked by the radiographer, you need to wait for the cardiologist to look at it.

I'm not saying that those doing the test are laymen and they probably know a lot of what's going on, but they still shouldn't give there opinion of what your diagnosis is.

• Posted

Yes, I am from the u.s. you are right he should have kept his opinion to himself. I am going to speak up about the situation when I see my doctor. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Linsey

In the USA, technicians are precluded from having this type of discussion with all patients. The discussion should have been between yourself and your cardiologist.

Telephone your physician, speak with the nurse and relay just as you have written, explain how distressed this has made you, and request an urgent appointment.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

This person is so out of order, I'm glad you have the same rules.

I also think she should contact her Dr or consultant, this should be stopped

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I am glad I put this up on hear, I did not know they were not allowed to do this, I did think out was really odd, I have my doctors appointment Tuesday. I will also be calling the historical to tell them what happened with that particular technician.
    • Posted

Yes you should, I'm not saying they did it maliciously just maybe you were very anxious and he thought he was calming you, I think it had the reverse effect.

You make a list of all the questions you want answers for and when they answer either write it down or as if you can record it on your phone

Its good to be able to recap

• Posted

Hi Linsey

Please, I would like to hear about your visit on Tueaday . good wishes!

kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.