Echo result

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with AF in September last year, and have been on Warfarin since then. at the end of October I was sent for an Echo Test and told that this was the usual thing with this diagnosis. As yet I have not had any result and am very worried, I saw my GP last week about something else and she said she had not had the result yet, surely I should have heard by now, any comments please.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you male-female?-Young-elderly? Are you in it constantly-can you feel it?  Do you smoke-drink? Are you a drug user? Are you overweight-normal weigh-underweight?

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

If I was in your shoes I would ring the hospital where your Echo was done, ask for the results, whether it was sent on to the Cardiology Department. If it was, ring them next and tell them you haven't heard anything back. 

If it's definitely confirmed AF you should definitely be on other medication. 

The other option is to ring the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and ask them to urgently take this forward for you.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I've had a/ f for 5/6 years I've just turned 70 this month. I was given bisoprolol ,rampril and aspirin. Meds have been changed to atenolol and rivaroxiban and still on rampril. Side effects of the beta blocker were so bad. I've weaned off the atenolol...still having the occasional adrenalin spike! 

Read the drjohnm on the net...13 things he tells his patients. I think this will help you. I believe my a/f is due to stressful job,I'm a bit of a worrier and overweight. I'm now going to try to shift the weight and keep off the meds.

To answer your question...I can't understand why you have to wait so long for the echo results. The waiting is hell! That's the state of our NHS! Do read the article I've mentioned. I'm feeling much more in control. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Pauline

i had a echocardiogram a few weeks ago & i got the resuts from my cardiologist by post 10 days after the test & a copy was sent to my GP.

i take it that you are in the UK ? if so this situation of yours will be wide spread in the NHS right now.

one word of advice  "Complain"  dont be affraid to, if no one complains nothing gets done to put things right

Good Luck

• Posted

Interesting you get your results: my Trust doesn't think I should know and I'm beginning to wonder whether anyone looks at them!
    • Posted

Hi, Yes I am in the UK and as you are aware we have lots of problems at the moment, thanks for your reply.
  • Posted

Thanks for replying, I am 70 years old and like you Elizabeth, a worrier and overweight mainly because I have really bad arthritis and cant move about like I used to. Also have a very demanding 50 year old autistic son which makes things very stressful at times. I have spoken to the secretary at the hospital this morning and she is going to look into it for me I will read that article you mentioned.Thanks, Pauline
    • Posted

Hi again Pauline

so sorry to hear about your health issues & also that of your son.

Stress is prevalent for AF, & in many cases the initial cause, it certainly was in my own case, having had far too many continuous & very stress full situations for many years, as  i can imagine you have also looking after your son.

i am 65, i have always kept a healthy life style, did not drink, nor smoke, i was varied sports man in my younger days & very Fit up until i reached 51,then arthritis kicked in slowing me down a bit. i started with AF at the age 58. 

i have 3 older brothers, there is no one else in our family anywhere along the family line that has a heart condition, & i know that non of them have had the same levels of continuous stress that i have had.

So i certainly put my AF down to stress

• Posted

I suppose mine could well be stress but its a worry to me, more so because I never knew I had it it was a big shock to me.
    • Posted

Exactly the same for me! I was teaching part time and just felt anxious. My GP confirmed it was A/F. I was so shocked and very upset. I had no idea how bad it was. I took the meds,saw a cardiologist,had echo, not given any results,just to take my meds. I did as I was told and although I mentioned how bad I was feeling I was told to continue...no change to the meds. If you read my other posts you will see what a nightmare the side effects have been for me. Some people find they work fine for them. I suppose I'm just unlucky! 

The other big problem is the lack of discussion by my GPs and cardio doc. Knowledge for me is key . I just wish that I'd made more of a fuss about the side effects....years ago and also had read drjohnm 13 things he tells his patients. I've been like a zombie for so long. I'm now trying to move my thinking into a better place! This site is so good for support and will help you all it can. People here are very understanding as they too have the same problem. Let us know how you are doing. Take care.

• Posted

An awful lot of AF sufferers are probably envious of your unawareness of the AF. Every cloud etc.. :-)
    • Posted

Thanks for that Elizabeth, I only went for a well woman check and when they did my pulse they said I should have an ECG, Went to see the doctor a week later and she told me that I had AF, terrified me by telling me all the things that could happen. I couldnt believe it because I felt fine. Sent me for the Echo three months ago, havent had the result yet, and put me on Warfarin. I havent heard a thing since or seen my doctor.I have felt so alone and depressed but I have a good husband who also feels rather concerned about everything. Good to talk to you, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.