Echocardiogram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some advice needed please. I have just been diagnosed with significant abnormalities including multiple interatrial septal defects with left to right flow along the entire length of the inter-atrial septum. It's all new to me, but would explain the severe tiredness. The waiting list to see a cardiologist is 46week. What should I do

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Shout loudly because 46 weeks is not acceptable, why that long, are you in UK and how old are you
    • Posted

Long waits are not unusual in the UK. Last year I had 26 weeks to see a neurologist and when he wanted me to see a neurosugeon I had to go privately as I was 611 on the list with at least a 39 wek wait.

In 2012 I waited 54 weeks for a aortic valve replacement. A friend in Baltimore only had to wait for three weeks. 

• Posted

I live in northern Ireland and am 54years. I seem to be getting worse.
    • Posted

So if it is 46 then I suggest you get yourself to the nearest full sized hospital and go in clutching your chest and get seen, that's way to long and you shouldn't wait that long go for it.

• Posted

I think the only way I will be seen is if something happens to me unfortunately
  • Posted

If you can afford about £200 go see one privately but you probably need an EP

( Cardiac electrophysiologist ) rather than a cardiologist.. It should not happen but often they will then put you on their NHS list if treatment is required.

Link on this site for your condition.

https://patient.info/doctor/atrial-septal-defect-pro

• Posted

I think it should be 4 to 6 weeks if he's in UK not a year or there abouts

• Posted

A lot depends on the part of the UK you live in. When I was diagnosed by chance with aortic stenosis at Imperial College in 2011 it seemed to make more sense to be treated locally rather than to have journeys of over two hours to get to London.

My first appointment was in five weeks but I then needed a stress echocardiogram and I was told that it would be a long wait, It took 17 weeks and I only got that by phoning asking for any cancellation. I then needed an angiogram and that involved another wait of ten weeks. I was told that I would get my aortic valve replaced in about six weeks. It actually took six months and if I had not checked the waiting list after a month I would probably have never had it as my surgery referral had not been sent to the hospital that was to do it.

The whole system is a shambles with my local hospital and the operating one in the next county now both under 'special measures'

This year my GP referred me to cardiology in March at the local hospital and to the operating hospital in August and there has been no response from either.

I phoned PALS at the operating hospital and their search found no record of the August referral. I did though then get an E-Mail from a consultant offering me an appointment at his private clinic.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.