Echocardiogram ordered after mannometry EGD and upper GI

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All. Just a bit of background on my history. I was diagnosed with Achalasia in 2007 and had a Hellers myotomy with partial fundoplication performed at the Cleveland Clinic that same year. Well, here I am back with full blown symptoms. Chest spasms and difficulty swallowing, you all know the drill. So, I went and had a whole round of tests done back at the CC and the thoraci surgeon told me about POEM. But the weird thing is, and it has me freaked out a bit, today in the mail I received an appointment for an Echocardiagram. Nobody phoned me from the clinic they just made the appt. does anyone know if this is just normal procedure before a POEM(which I have not even scheduled yet btw). I appreciate you taking the time to read this. All the best! Corri

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there i feel thar the ECG was requested to rule out the mon cardiac chest pain you are having, i would say not to panic at all you will be fine your dr would tell you if there are any accompanying sympyoms associated with your chest pains that you both need to work on. No idea about POEM procedure.Take care🌼🌷🌸🌹
  • Posted

Hi.  I think that this may be standard procedure before undergoing surgery with Anesthesia.  Did you have to have this test before you had your Heller Myotomy? I ask because I am considering the Heller right now and seem to remember the surgeon mentioning having to have some kind of cardio test prior to surgery.  I suspect it's only to do with the anesthesia and not for any other reason.
    • Posted

Hi Amy. I don't believe I did have an echo before the Hellers but I did have some breathing tests. But I'm now 45 and I was 38 when I had the surgery so maybe now that I'm older it is required. I will have to call the surgeon on Monday to find out. All the Best, Corri
  • Posted

Can't understand why you are now having  the operation done again.  I realise that Poem isn't so invasive, but I thought it did the same proceedure. I would be grateful for your input.
    • Posted

Hi Jean. Unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones and my symptoms are back. I believe the surgeon told me it happens in 25 pct of people. Please do not quote me on that but that is what I recall. I did have 5 good years though and I'm glad I had the surgery. The surgeon now said that he can perform the poem and cut the other side of my esophagus. I would do the achalasia balloon but if I do that now, I may no longer be a candidate for poem due to scar tissue. I had a few balloons prior to the myotomy but back then they did not have the special achalasia balloon. In 7.5 years they have come a long way. Also from what I understand they're unable to do partial fundoplication with the poem and I'm glad I had that done because I have zero acid reflux. That is the one thing I'm worried about so I will have to discuss that with the surgeon as well. The surgery was life changing at the time and I have no regrets having it done. I hope you do well and wish you all the best. Corri
    • Posted

hi Jean, I just wanted to add that if my symptoms return after the Poem I will be able to do the Achalasia balloon. Thank you!!'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.