Echocardiogram results

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have an anxiety disorder and health phobia. I hate medical tests , makes me very anxious and bloop pressure goes up! I had an echocardiogram yesterday and have been anxious ever since. The first thing tech said she can tell if there is anything wrong it's not serious. She said she was not suppose to say anything but could see how anxious and nervous I was! But when the test was over , she said it was within normal range.. But that I might have to come back once a year to have echocardiogram! I am worried my left side is enlarged because of my bp going up when anxious. I have a cuff at home and bp is always 108 over 66 or around that area. But my bp has been as high as 190 when in Dr office , Which I think that is why they ordered this test.!! Most of the time my BP is normal but maybe because of spikes it thickened my left side? I asked her if it was thickened and she said she doesn't know until she takes measurements!! I thought the machine did everything!! I am scared to death !! I need support to get me thru this!! Please help me!!! The two words I am trying to focus on is within normal limits(what ever that means?) Plus not serious. I need some friends that can help me with this.. it would mean the world to me. Please!! What do you think of this? What is your make on her responses? If it's within normal limits , why did she make the comment I might have to come yearly for echocardiogram?? Might. I can't even function !! I am going to give myself heart problems and if my bp didn't already do something!! But wouldn't your bp have to be high constantly to do any thickening?? !! Could it be heart murmur but Dr never said I had one. Ekg always comes out normal

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Pl try not to worry as it will not help.  Do you know why you had an echo?  I had one because my ECG was abnormal but the technician did tell me she could not find anything abnormal.  My BP is up and down and the cardiologist can tell if there is damage.  If yours goes up when you are anxious this is normal. I interpret within normal limits as nothing to worry about esp if ECG is normal.  My 24 hrs ECG shows heart block and yet the cardiologist told me nothing to worry about and it is of no signifance and discharged me.  I do worry but I have to trust him.   I guess if you have to go in 1 yr time to check it is better to be on the same side.  Do you suffer from heart symptoms to have these tests?  Mine was picked at pre-op but second ECG was normal and 24 hrs ECG picked up heart block.  Hope this helps I do not think it is anything serious.
    • Posted

I don't know why gp ordered it? I think because in office my blood pressure went up to 190 but I was having staples taken out of my head! In July I fainted and my head hit concrete and I knocked myself out. In turn had small seizure from getting knocked out. No convulsing, just stiffened up and clenched jaw. Brain eeg showed brain slow but that can be from TBI . Brain bouncing back and forth in head. I hit so hard I cut my head open. Neurologist at hospital did not think I had seizure but they have to go by the person that saw me. They just think it was most likely hitting head so hard. I fainted from getting up to fast and smoking strong THC from medical store. Oxygen dropped and I fainted. I have not smoked since which is one reason I am more anxious. But I do take klonopin and celexa. Phychiatrist upped my dose. Gp is the one putting me thru theses long drawn out tests!! But I think because blood pressure was high. I told her I am anxious and I have white coat phobia. Bp at home is good unless I get myself upset. I had two EKG that were normal and now she wants another one done Monday! I don't understand why?? She said Neurologist will not see me unless I get these tests!! Then I have an MRI of brain on 27th of this month. I can't drive or do any of my normal stuff until cleared!! So I am house bound with nothing to do but think of this nightmare!! I don't understand if echo is within normal range why tech said that .. about once a year might have to come in! Might?? So I a man trying to be calm. It it is hard for me..

• Posted

I already had chest X-ray sugar test, blood work , cat scan ekg and now echo.
  • Posted

Calm down you are overthinking this. If it is within normal range and they were happy to let you go and come home, it must be OK.

Sometimes they do ask you to come bck yearly to check nothing has changed.

Try not to measure your heart rate and bp too often but rather try not to think about it.  I know that is easier said than done.

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you Sarah. This was a test my GP sent me to get at clinic , not hospital. It helps me to have someone to talk too.. So Thank you for your response💜

• Posted

Hi I had an echocariogram 3 months ago ,I thought because I didn't hear anything everything must be good.anyway I have now received a letter to see a cardiologist next week,now I am very nervous.there must be something wrong.

• Posted

I also have what they call 'white coat syndrome' my BP is normally around 120/84ish at home but when in hospital or doctor's it spikes to 200/100. I've had 4 hospital procedures in theatre over the past 2 years and in January am having a knee replacement. I know what is happening as I get palpitations and shake and can't even think clearly once I approach a doctor or nurse. So, now I always take readings at home for a couple of days before I have my appointment/surgery, just to reassure the anaesthetist I am normal really! Whether they take notice of it, I have no idea. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.