Ectopic heart beats and palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

Simply a hiccup within the electic activity within the heart, You will never die from this but may get extremely anxious as this is your heart, but in most cases there is never an issue with the heart muscle.I worried myself sick for at least 30 years and Im still here. Have had monitors, echocardiograms and lots of ecg's but always told Im healthy and to truly beleve when Im told by a cardiologist im healthy with a strong heart is somthing I accept now. Even though at times when it feels lke my heart beat is like a twitch you get in your eye or sometimes like you have been whacked in the chest or even like my heart has completely stopped, I remind myself that Im fine no more than someone who is prone to headaches, stomach ache I know now t will be ok and you will be I promise. To reasure yourself go get checked by your gp and even ask for a referral to cardioolgist but dont waste your life worrying and obsessng about a condition thati ie extremely common.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Shamrock. Very sensible. I am trying to relax a bit over my ectopics after over 30 years of dramas. Your comment has helped.

Cheers!

• Posted

I too have read that that it isn't uncommon for the normal Heart to drop/miss or skip beats, but, they are extra or premature beats. But only the pause is noticed, apparently it is common in healthy people but generally goes unnoticed. Also your resting heart rate is key to a healthy heart.

• Posted

Hi, I'm Diana. Lovely to read your positive thoughts.  I agree with you entirely.  I have had the condition for 50 years and admit I do struggle with it.  In fact, I had a rotten night last night - sat up all night.  Many years ago a consultant I saw told me that there is no such thing as a "perfect heart" and that I should liken it to an "eye twitch".  Everyone's heart does something that you may not even notice.  Unfortunately a lot of us are tuned into what our hearts are up to and we don't like it one bit!

• Posted

I was told exactly the same Diana, I've suffered for 12 years now and regardless to what I was told it still kicks in the emergency anxiety response automatically when I feel them. For some reason my brain says "this one feels different" 

they are so life limiting mentally 

• Posted

Chalky

Have you ever thought of medical hypnosis? I am going to give it a try. I have had them on and off for over 30 years. I have restricted my diet mainly and been on many different medications. Propanolol seems to aggravate them! For me its tied in with the gastric system. I have tried and tried to work out why. So mentally debilitating. Will keep posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.