Eczema is ruining my life!

Posted , 10 users are following.

This is my first forum and I guess I am looking for suggestions. Here is my long stoey: As a child, I had eczema patches on my arms and legs and just dealt with it. As I got older, that stopped but I developed a patch under my nose. Stupidly, I tanned quite a bit in my early twenties which kept it under control. I also saw a derm regularly and had tried every steroid cream known to man. After my first child, I began to get red little bumps around my mouth and blotches on my cheeks. I was diagnosed with rosacea which I feel was a complete mis-diagnosis. I was prescribed a mixture of some creams including Finacea which I stopped using as my symptoms went away. Throughout all of this, I kept using steroid cream under my nose.

Recently, I suffered from perioral dermatitis and angular chelitis and now use non fluoride toothpaste which helped tremendously. I also have seasonal allergies and take an antihistamine daily.

Now, for about a year I have had eczema on my eyelids up to my eyebrow, under my nose and my mouth. I haven't used steroid cream in a year and do not want to. I have been using Elidel which does nothing, changed my shampoo to be sulfate free and wash my face with jist water. Today, my face is just out of control. I am 31 years old and look terrible. I do not want to be seen in public and hate living like this. I want my skin back to normal and I want to feel pretty again. The burning itching redness is just ruining my daily life.

Should I try patch testing? Could I be having a reaction to dairy or gluten? Any insight is appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was born with excema, I couldn't have any dairy product at all, including chocolate! I was on steroid cream and that was in the 70's n 80's! But around the age of 11 years old it went and I develope asthma unfortunately, I have chronic asthma now and around 4 years ago I developed Chronic Urticaria which is the worst form of excema. I can't even go out in the sun wind or rain has it burn my skin and I develop a furious rash that forms blister and I get blood blister in my mouth too. I meant to be going for injections next month fingers cross.

But for you I say keep positive please smile stay away from dairy products and try soya product instead, you can get a allergy test done for around £70 privately, don't use no soap, but I do use pears soap has it don't effect my hand like the others do. I would use diplobase cream to wash in twice a day and use E45 to keep your skin moist. Stay away from any animals has they can have an effect on you. I would make sure your home is dust free has dust really irritates my skin. I do really feel for you and wish I could do more but am here if you need me. I wish you luck has I know the struggle BlessLove stay strong smile 😊 P.s try not to use any house hold products just a wet cloth and a dry cloth for cleaning good luck

• Posted

I've got dry Eczema ,go get private food test as I did ,well worth while . 

I wash mostly with water ,to many with Eczema are allergic to what's put into products . My Eczema is scalp ,ears inside and out ,I've developed IBS in past 10 years . Foods the cause allergies . I've had Eczema since a kid ,asthma in close family . Go get tested my best advice , know what your dealing with . 

• Posted

Hi there...i really feel for u....the itching burning redness are a torment.  I'm dealing with facial eczema & understand your reluctance to go out in public.... I'm 66 now, have asthma from childhood (it never went away), also had eczema as a child to teen...this went but from age 17 - 34 i was prescribed BetnovateN for the dry skin on my face..eventually I was told to stop the Bernovate by my GP, and managed to wean myself off it.  However, 3 years ago, for whatever reason, i began again with flare-ups on my face...this has gradually spread to all over my body & a few months ago started using Hydrocortisone ointment on my face...it helped a little for the first couple of weeks, but this turned against me & has caused more problems than it solved....  I'm going through topical steroid withdrawal at the moment...and the itch/scratch/burn cycle has driven me almost insane.  My dermatologist suggested immunosuppressive med Ciclosporine, but i was reluctant to try it initially as I have asthma/bronchiectasis & prone to chest  infections & pneumonia anyway.  However, as I said, the symptoms were driving me mad so i gave in & have been on this med for 5 days now....i've got some way to go...(up to 2 months treatment needed the derma told me)....so for me its watch this space.  So Muchacha21 what i want to say to you is that I found the ITSAN website & Dr Marvin Rapaport who described all my symptoms & helped me enormously in making my decision...there is also lots of helpful info in how to deal with what you're trying to deal with...it told me that topical steroid withdrawal can last upto 2 years....and ciclosporine is helpful in severe cases.  I do hope you can get some relief somehow ...my fallback was using ice packs on my face to help with the itch. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. People that do not have this issue just do not understand! I was wondering about ice packs so I'm going to give that a try.

• Posted

Hi

Could I interest you in having a look at our therapeutic naturopathic range. We do specific ranges for eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis and rosacea. The products are 100% natural and scientifically proven. We get amazing feedback on the effectiveness of our treatments massively improving their skin condition?

• Posted

Im not a medical expert but i do have an idea, I believe it all comes from the inside. Have you checked out a raw vegan diet? If you search up on google "saved my daughters eczema with a raw diet" there is so many articles and the family that battled through the issue have a youtube channel i think. Dairy and Meat can be very toxic for some people and i really think you should check out a raw diet.

• Posted

I use foderma serum every day on my three daughters with very sensitive skin. It seems to keep their eczema under control. It goes on easily and I love the pump. Good for an everyday serum
  • Posted

I'm sorry you're suffering, skin issues are awful and anything on your face is doubly distressing. I can't give you any advice on allergy testing, but my youngest son had really severe eczema as a baby and my eldest now has a nasty patch above his top lip which has been spreading. When my little one was younger, I tried everything from the GP & dermatologist. Nothing worked. Eventually a sympathetic paediatrician swabbed some of the worst areas and found his eczema was infected. She prescribed a strong antibiotic and on the same day, I stopped using any of the steroids or aqueous creams prescribed by the dermatologist. I also stopped using any products which contained SLS (which was in lots of the sensitive skin products and even some of the stuff given to me by the dermatologist and GP). I switched to ecoballs instead of washing powder and I started using a cream my friend had passed on to me. From that point, his skin began to improve and over the next few weeks, cleared completely. It was an enormous relief. That was 5 years ago and just these last few weeks my eldest has developed a really horrible inflamed/dry patch of skin above his top lip. I've tried a lanolips product and a steroid cream from the GP again but none of it has helped and it's just been getting worse so I've gone back to the cream I used on my baby and it has started to work already. It's called Bria balm and I always tell people who I see with children who have eczema so I don't why I didn't try it sooner. Good luck with your skin, I really hope it improves soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.