Effectiveness of aesmya in reducing very large fibroids

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, 

I was recently diagnosed with some very large uterine fibroids (largest one is 13 cm). The gyneacologist basically gave me the option to get a hysterectomy next month, or try a course of esmya first to try and reduce the size of the fibroids. The downside of the latter option is that I would have to wait for at least 4 months before I can get an operation, plus the fact that the gynoeacologist couldn't give me any indication if and by how much the fibroids would shrink.

Part of me wants to get things over with as soon as possible which would mean skipping the treatment, but given the size of the fibroids this would mean a open hysterectomy with a large vertical insicion all the way up to the bottom of my sternum and I am rather anxious about the recovery time and possible complications of such a large operation.

On the other hand, I have no idea what to expect of the treatment with esmya. If after 4 months I still would need an open hysterectomy I might as well get the operation now and avoid another 4 months of misery. I have read some positive reports on esmya, but most of them were about fibroids of considerably smaller size. So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with using esmya to reduce very large fibroids.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coba,

If you're going to get a hysterectomy maybe still try reducing the fibroid? The advantage might be a smaller incision or perhaps the option of keyhole surgery. Secondly I wondered if you were given the option of using GNRH analogues, they are a very strong medication that reduce fibroids by stopping your periods and basically temporarily inducing menopause. It's very effective in reducing fibroids. I was put on Gonapeptyl, it was unpleasant - I experienced hot flushes and was miserable.however the fibroids reduced significantly!! Then I proceeded to have open myomectomy. Incision was very small maybe 4- 5 inches.

See if you can discuss the gnrh options with your gynae.

• Posted

How long were you on the Gonapeptyl and how long did you experience hot flashes/misery?  It's an option I was considering as well

• Posted

I was in your situation 18 months ago.  The only option the gyneacologist gave me was a hysterectomy, which I wasn't keen on.   He "charmingly" said my uterus was like a bag of marbles. Then he said I could have Esmya and then come back after a few months.  At such point I investigated all my options, and read about UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolisation).  I arranged an appointment with an Interventional Radiologist, to have an MRI scan, and get further advice.  He confirmed I had multiple fibroids - between 20 and 30 - and that I was suitable for a UFE.  In fact he thought that due to the large number of fibroids and adhesions from previous operations, a hysterectomy could be dangerous.  I had my UFE after 3 months in Esmya, and this has worked great for me.  I was terribly anaemic before the operation, due to heavy bleeding.  My advice would be to look at all your options before you are rushed into a decision.  By the way, Esmya helped me a great deal as well, as my periods stopped during that time, so I was stronger for the operation, and had more time to make a proper decision.

• Posted

Hi

I am currently starting my 3rd 3 month course of treatment with Esmya. I was diagnosed with a grapefruit sized Fibroid in October 15 along with other smaller ones. I had suffered with very heavy periods, losing large clots etc for quite some time. They were also pressing on my bladder and causing me to pass water very frequently.

I see my Gynaecologist every 3 months and have recently had an internal scan. The largest fibroid has shrunk down to 5cm and the others shrunk also. Not only am I period free whilst taking the tablets I also feel much healthier and the need to frequently pass water has gone!

Dont get me wrong, the side effects during the first course werent good, tiredness, feeling sickly, but I am so glad I persevered and avoided hysterectomy.

Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Hi, I have large fibroids too, several, and Esmya has helped me a lot. Every time I take it the fibroids reduce, at least by one third. I decided not to have surgery and am currently managing OK, my bleeding has reduced greatly too. So I would suggest it's a good option to see if it works for you. For me the side effects were not too bad.

• Posted

I also have a couple of fibroids 7cm being the biggest. Think I'll look up esmya and ufe thank ya for sharing and letting people like me know there are other options.

• Posted

Hi, only you can know what's best for you, but this is my experience.

I only had one fibroid, but I was 17 x 18x19.

I was given esyma for3 months at a time. I took it 5 times which is very unusual. My gynaecologist wasn't keen on surgery and wanted to shrink it. He was brilliant and explained everything to me. My fibroid had been a lot smaller when I first started treatment. It just didn't shrink. Then during s break in treatment it would grow until it got to the stage it was causing problems on a daily basis. Blood loss was very heavy and last up to 25 days. I found my asthma was worse and I felt pretty low.

I ended up having a hysterectomy 28th Aug. I wad cut vertically from my belly button and have a10 inch scar. I was in hospital 2 nights. Came home and felt good.

However hr staples were taken out by an inexperienced district nurse. And I ended up with an infection and back in hospital for 5 days. Unfortunate but i don't for one second have any regrets. my uterus was the size of a 22 week pregnancy and weighed nearly half a stone.

It I frustrating that you cant do much when you first come out of hospital. I don't know what your personal circumstances are, but accept all help you are offered. Take the pain killers rest, ask questions.

Hope this helps. I did delay my operation for 2 months so I could have op during the school hols as this made child care easier, but it wasn't a good idea ad was just putting off the inevitable. Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Hi Coba,

Unfortunately my 15cm fibroid hasn't responded to a course of Esmya, so it looks like everyone's experience is different I'm afraid, the luck of the draw!

I wouldn't let that put you off trying it however, as obviously any non surgical option is preferable, and it may work well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.