Effexor 75mg xr and sleeping problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys hopefully everyone is doing good .Effexor is making me feel better but . since about a week and half ago I can only sleep like 4 hours max a night . I'm usually a 8-10 hour sleep person . The only medicine change recently was Effexor 75mg xr In the moring. I been on this medication for about 3 weeks now does the insomnia go away on it own I really hate to take anymore medication especially a sleeping aid. Any advice is much appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is not a bad idea to take a sleeping aid when you haven't had enough sleep for more than two days in a row. Lack of sleep can mess with your symptoms and delay recovery. Psychiatrists do not allow sleeplessness to become chronic for this reason. Taking a mild sedative (if one is prescribed by doctor) is less harmful in these cases than lack of sleep.

Having said that, you should be able to manage more sleep within the next two weeks or so. However...I would not wait that long and would mention this to doctor.

All the best.

• Posted

I take Unisome (half tab) @ night. Im on Celexa. I also took it while on Zoloft. Check it with pharmacy first of coarse.
  • Posted

Thanks u all for replying . I'm gonna try melatonin it is natural sleep aid and my wife has some. if nothing go well I'll ask my therapist about it i did call her and I guess this is common issue with Effexor . I did get my health insurance back. I'm just afraid of taking sleeping meds

• Posted

My doctor also gave me some Ativan to use when needed. Sometimes if I can't sleep and get worked up I do that as well. Sleeping pills do make me groggy for first half of day and that's no good for work. Good luck.

• Posted

Effexor is notorious for causing sleep disturbances and adjustment insomnia. Some psychiatrists never prescribe it without a temporary sedative sidekick for this reason smile But for those without sedatives, it should get better after a while yes. Important to not take it later than 3pm - the earlier int he day, the better. And with food.

• Posted

Thanks everyone yesterday I slept for 8 hrs . But last night and now this morning I have not slept and I took a melatonin. But it didn't work. I also notice when I start to dose off to a sleep i begin twitching like crazy my wife counted 5 times during my sleep. but no issue when I'm awake. Has anyone experience this . but I never had twitching issues before.just wondering

• Posted

I"nteraction between Effexor and Unisom

There is no known interaction between Effexor and Unisom in our records. However, an interaction may still exist.

Always consult your doctor before taking these medications together."

I would try doxylomine hydrochloride or Unisome 25mg tablets. I take Celexa an sometimes have to take half of a 25mg. Unisom. Knocks me out. Im also on Klonapine (Clonazapam generic) anti-anxiety med 0.5mg whenever necessary but don't take unisome an Klonapine at same time. I looked interactions. It said none. So look into that. Id stay away from Ambien!! Horrible! I slept walked everywhere. Talking outloud to myself. Fell off commode in middle of night. Hurt my head. Fell getting into ved!! Felt like no bodily control or I was still asleep but awake (?). Never again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.