Ejaculation Preserving (EP) Turp -- Anyone have it done or familiar with it?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just read a post mentioning EP (ejaculation preserving) TURP. Couldn't remember who posted it so hopefully they will chime in. 

In any event, I was very surprised to hear this, because I thought I had done my research and now here comes this procedure that apparently had a successful trial 10 years ago. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23952037

In the trial, 90% of the participants retained normal antegrade ejaculation, as opposed to the normal TURP procedures where the majority end up with retrograde ejaculation.

So wondering if anyone has had it or if they know any doctors doing it,

Jim

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No have not heard about it but why would you bother? There is still a high incidence of permanent incontinence and impotence. Lots of bleeding,bit barbaric really. There are much better options available. If you end up impotent there's your ejaculation issue taken care of. 
    • Posted

Caringbah,

Your statements regarding "a high incidence of permanent incontinence and impotence" do not seem supported by the facts. Can you supply references? Also, if you follow the link I provided, you will see a "full text" link on upper right. Again, no incontinence and impotence in the EP study. EP Turp appears to be a more refined type of TURP. As to better options, that's why I'm hear, reading and learning. Fortunately, because my self cathing has gone so well, I have the luxury of waiting a little.

Jim

• Posted

I was told by three of my three urologists that the rate of incontinence and impotence was 2-3%. I consider that high when comparing it with 0% chance with PAE and 0% retrograde ejaculation. 

As well as that there is no cutting, no bleeding, quick recovery time. 

One urologist wanted to do TURP, one Holep and the other wanted to do open surgery on me. Not one told me about PAE, I had to find out myself. I had my PAE three months ago and couldn't be happier. I now pee like a horse, get up once a night, no incontinence, no impotence and no retro. I'm also lucky to be one of the 30% of PAE patients with improved sexual function. 

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification of "high". I discussed those numbers with my urologist and he thought the 2-3% figure was much too high based on the many procedures he has done. That said, I think it's teriffic you have had such good results with PAE, and in fact, that would probably be what I would be looking at now if not for the fact that I am doing so well with self catherization. Should that change, I would conside PAE if it turned out I was a good candidate and if nothing better had come along. 

Jim

• Posted

Hello

I don't know about TURP, but my hubbie had HoLEP in June and his surgeon explained to us that EP was a possibility by not lasering quite so much of the tissue of the prostate in a certain area.  He also said that they don't actually know WHY this works, but it appears to smile 

• Posted

Hello

Did your husband have the HoLEP procedure with Tev Aho and did he leave the extra tissue for EP?  How well did that work out?

Mark

• Edited

Hello Jim.  Going to have to read more.  First time I heard about this.  I would like to know what is done diffrent they a reg turp.  They have to still cut away at the prostate.Maybe there just hoping the men have a good out come.  Take care Happy healing  .  I had a Urolift 4 month's ago very pleased  Ken 
    • Edited

The one who did my PVP in 2005 called it a bladder neck saving procedure. 
    • Posted

Hello Derek Very interesting  Have to read up on it.  Good to know  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.