Election and Mental Health

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just a quick note but considering the impending election perhaps now is a good time to complain about the lack of joined up thinking and dire state of our mental health services when we get canvassers coming round for our vote. If your experience has been good then I'm really pleased for you but for me and many others it's been not fit for purpose to the point I had to go private. 

We need to push for a better service as mental health problems have reached epidemic levels with 1 in 4 people suffering, if it was the flu it would have national TV coverage and money thrown at it.

Neil (ps I'm not a political person normally). 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Aspinan

Well said.........Yes! I totally agree it should be a priority...especially with more knowledge and explanations given to the public in general, so that sufferers of anxiety DO NOT get told to "pull yourself tegether" and whispers like "Oh Well!  he/she suffers with anxiety...no sympathy...they'll just have to get on with it!"

It makes me very cross!

I am sure many others will agree.  The waiting time for therapy is ridiculous.

By the time you get an appointment, then you "could have jumped off of bridge" so to speak.

Good Luck and I am sure many others will support this idea.

• Posted

Thanks for support CruiseLady, appreciate it.

Ive twice been referred to phychiatrist by my GP only to be "screened" by what I consider to be the Gatekeeper and told one first occasion that there was nothing they coukd do as I was going private for CBT paid for by my employers, then on the second occasion when referred by my GP was seen by same gatekeeper who told me I shouldn't contact the crisis team unless ive planned to take my life or self harm at which time I said if Id gone to the trouble of planning it the last thing I'm likely to do is phone the crisis line as Id gone beyond it, she agreed to refer me to a phychiatrist but the wait was unacceptable so I went private and its so far cost me £500 but worth it. Totally unacceptable for someone who has paid their NI for last 30 plus years and has been in generally good health. Things need to change if lives are to be saved.

Neil 

• Posted

Totally and utterly agree with you. The NHS mental health service is abyssmal!
  • Posted

Yes I totally agree I had to refinance my loan to find the money to pay for therapy.

So far the Lib dems seen to be the only ones who have pledged more money for mental health....!

• Posted

Hello again Aspinan

I was wondering how to get "things going".....the only thing I have come up with is the Group known as 38 Degrees.  They rally the general public/members who campaign and lobby politicians/Parliament with a number of issues, and they do have success rates.  In theory, you become a member, and then you get the opportunity to contact your local MP to listen and support the issue in Parliament.  This is basically free to join, but from time to time they do request a small donation, but this is entirely your choice.  I think you can Google this Group to find out more.  Good Luck.  I am sure there would be a lot of support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.