Elevated LDL cholesterol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone with PMR experienced their LDL cholesterol level increasing despite good diet and exercise? I am on HRT though with a seperate testosterone gel which I believe can increase the bad cholesterol? I do however have a familial history of elevated cholesterol with aging in my parents.

I mentioned in a previous post I was trialling a supplement phytoprofen for my PMR symptoms instead of pred, which is a combination of tumeric and bromain. I also take fish oil, krill oil, evening primrose and an activated B complex daily. I juice veggies and small amount of fruit each morning for breakfast and now follow a low carb diet. The only side effect I've noticed with the turmeric is dry and flaking skin of my face?

Despite the amazing effectiveness of pred, I decided to stop taking it unless I got a bad flare up as I was concerned about the long term side effects. Apart from the first few months of being prescribed it, I haven't had to use it for the last 6 months.

I believe for me the supplements must be working as my pain and stiffness are now down around 80% if I don't do strenuous exercise. Interestingly though, if I drink wine the next day the aches and pains are more noticeable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nola,

what concerns me about supplements is that this supplement could have a steroid in it which is not listed on the label. In the US independent labs have found prescription strength drugs in supplements not listed on the label.

I do not see any independent lab examination of phytoprofen.

As far as HRT goes I used bio-identical hormones and ended up with bilateral breast cancer. Those have the same dangers as Rx because their is no difference. My alternative MD lost her license for using unproven therapies. Too bad. I liked the lady.

• Posted

I used to use bio-idential HRT too. I absolutely loved it. Having gone from 10 years or more on the estrogen patch to tthat it was a wonderful change. Made me feel 20 again. But I got a DVT and had to stop all hormones. And since I had a hystorectory at the age of 35 I have been suffering with hot flashes ever since. Then when the hot flashes stoped finally, I got on prednisone and the hot flashs began again.
  • Posted

Have you had your thyroid check lately. Hypothyroidism can cause an increase in bad cholestrol.
    • Posted

I had my thyroid levels checked not long ago and all within normal limits. I'm scared to come off hrt again. I tried it two years ago and it was a nightmare. I experienced every menopausal symptom. I nearly had to give up work. For me it was worse than Pmr.

• Posted

If you are not on pred then I can't see any reason why your LDL cholesterol has gone up - it has been claimed that bromelain and turmeric have been shown to lower them in studies. Most people with PMR would be on pred, pred can increase cholesterol levels. 

The only thing I can think of is that PMR CAN involve the liver - it isn't unusual to find increased liver enzymes in unmanaged PMR, something a lot of doctors seem to be unaware of. That COULD also increase production of cholesterol I suppose - and if you aren't drinking alcohol, your HDL levels are likely to go down.

And karinjaninaz touches on a VERY important point: other wonder-supplements have been later found to have undeclared steroids in them - at levels far above PMR pred doses. No wonder they worked!

• Posted

Forgot the most important point though - if you have the genetic link for hypercholesterolaemia, there is little you can do with just diet and exercise. 

And since I am convinced by evidence-based medicine I feel I havee to quote this:

"Bromelain is a term used for a collection of enzymes isolated from pineapple. While it’s rated by NMCD as “possibly effective” for osteoarthritis, the data are contradictory with some studies suggesting it has no effect on osteoarthritis. It has not been well demonstrated that bromelain reaches any clincially meaningful concentration in the blood. These are large protein molecules andit’s not clear how effectively they are absorbed – doses of 3000mg/day seem to result in tiny, albeit measurable, blood levels. Blood plasma components may inactivate any bromelain that is absorbed, though a half-life has been described. On balance, the data are not impressive."

Which is from a site called Sciencebasedpharmacy in an article about Wobenzyme N: a closer look at systemic enzyme therapy. There are some interesting discussions there about the use of such substances in supplements to manage inflammation  - one size cannot fit all for all sorts of reasons which are discussed. 

I imagine the turmeric may well be helping you - but I'm sceptical about the rest. I managed PMR for 5 years with no medications and certain physical approaches helped a lot - and PMR does vary in intensity for most people over time. It may be coincidence.

• Posted

Thank you for that information. i better check out with the manufacturer re the steroids possibility in the tablets. Best wishes for Xmas 
  • Posted

My husband's cholesterol dropped on a low carb duet but mine soared. Low carb does not mean low fat abd fir sine reason it worked wonders for him but not me. 

Could it be be a gender difference? 

• Posted

Sorry , I meant to write " and for some reason" . Is there an " edit" option here?

• Posted

" Is there an " edit" option here?" - short answer: NO!

We keep asking...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.