Elevated liver enzyme

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All!! 

Has anyone ever had elevated enzymes  in the liver due to methotrexate?? I have to have another blood test to check it out! I'm worried incase the methotrexate has caused permanent damage! Or will everything be ok if they take me off methotrexate! Many thanks Andrea xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My sister had the same thing happen to her, when they tried her on MTHX for R/Arthritis....they took her off straight away, it took a few weeks, but her liver readin gs returned to normal....so don`t worry....Good luck...
  • Posted

I take folic acid to counterract any liver issues MTX causes. Have you tried that? I take 2 mg.
  • Posted

Hi, I was also started on metho, 4 weeks ago. My Rheumy had me get blood test 2 weeks after last dose. My liver enzyme was 5 points over but she said that was OK, not to worry. I have standing order now for test every 3 weeks. I am also on Folic acid to help. Hang in there!  I love the information on this forum!
  • Posted

I started MTX 5 months ago. Last two liver function tests were high. Saw my rheumy on Monday and he said that the liver sometimes 'complains a little' and then settled down. I'm to stay on the MTX.

I take 3x5mg folic acid for 3 days following the MTX dose.

Apparently the liver recovers once off the MTX.

• Posted

The liver is amazingly resilient provided you don't keep abusing it all the time. It also can rejenerate, the only visceral organ that can do this. I believe you can cut away as much as seventy five per cent and it will regrow.  I saw something on TV recently where they cut a bit of liver off and transplanted it to someone else and it grew into a whole liver. 
  • Posted

Thank you All very much!, I hope I don't have to come off it because I'm feeling very well on it and my CRP is down to 5 with me being on 6mg of prednisolone! Bit obviously if it's not agreeing with me they'll take me off it! Just so long as my liver recovers! Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.