Elevated liver function enzymes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

13 and have been dealing with what I thought was IBS and possible CFS for three months now. I've been tested for Crohn's, ulcerative colitis parasites, celiac, cysts, glandular fever and thyroid. I ve had jaundice, diarrhea, nausea, joint aches, headaches, fatigue, joint aches and muscle pain. A recent blood test showed an increase in ALT from 15-20 to 40. 30 is high. I'm very scared and doctors have hardly taken me seriously even though I've presented with these symptoms. What could possibly cause elevated enzymes?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ella,

normal range for a female is 7-35 so you're not massively over the limit. I had a level in the high 300's recently and that had only just got them to do X-ray, ultrasound & MRIS. I had a liver transplant 3 years ago.

When you say you're jaundiced, which particular parts are yellowed....is it skin in areas, is it the whites of your eyes ( particularly the half nearer the nose)? 

On the other symptoms you suffer, like nausea, headaches, joint aches, dia

Was anything else off like bilirubin? That's what causes jaundice as it's the bile secretion into the blood on a higher level.

do you have a particular diet you follow or just regular eating / do you also know your BMI (or are you overweight?) no offence, just things we need to take into consideration before commenting on what you should ask the doctor!( never take what we say as red on here as we are not qualified, just through experiences and suffering ourselves).

on the other symptoms like headaches, nausea, joint ache, diarrhoea....they're unlikely to be liver related (the trots maybe), but all of them could more than likely be something entirely different.

i would say your range is "almost" normal so if you could find the bilirubin result and let me know the answers to the other questions, we'll see from there. Best wishes. M

• Posted

1. Jaundice in both eyes and skin

2. High bilirubin

3. Good diet- 5'6 114 lbs; healthy weight

Thanks for answering! 

• Posted

wow..you're only 13 and are 5'6... that's awsome. I have a 13 year old daughter and she's only 4'9.

Has your doctor done a thorough family history?  sometimes our past helps our present.  That's how I figured out a few of my own health problems. If I've learned anything from being on this forum it's to BE PERSISTANT.  keep after the doctors for results.

Will be thinking of you

Sunni

• Posted

Thanks! I had a pretty early growth spurt. I have a family history of autoimmune disease and have told the doctors that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.