EMA401 Drug Trials

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anybody know anybody who was or is involved in the trials for the new drug EMA401? Sounds promising!

"A new drug treatment has been found to be effective against chronic pain in patients who have had shingles.

The researchers hope that the drug might also be effective against other causes of pain caused by nerve damage, known as neuropathic pain, such as diabetes, HIV, nerve injury and cancer chemotherapy, as it targets a mechanism that is not targeted by any existing therapies and has fewer side effects."

See: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_5-2-2014-12-24-59

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

According to what I've read on the web the Phase 2 study had been withdrawn. However, the original developer has been bougbht our by a larger drug company, so who knows? You can find all this by Googling EMA401 FDA.
  • Posted

I am particularly interested in the drug EMA401. What I am trying to find out is at what stage are Novaritis at with the development of EMA401 and when it is like to come onto the market.. Novartis acquired Spinfic Inc (which developed the drug to the completion of Phase II) in 2015. My understanding is that there has to be a Phase III if Novartis wish to take the drug to the market (America of course). I have tried contacting Novartis but like many large corporates you cannot locate an email or an address or telephone number of a Senior Executve. As a trigeminal neuralgia sufferer I know that the current batch of drugs are something none of us should be taking long term. I dont take them, preferring to retain some sense of normality albeit suffer the pain. However it would be nice to take a drug that has no side affects.

jameshorrocks

• Posted

Hi James,

I wrote to Spinifex who told me "In July 2015, Spinifex was acquired by Novartis. With that said all planned clinical trials Spinifex had in place have been put on hold." I also wrote ot Novartis who, in effect, fobbed me off - so it seems that the Phase 3 trials are still on hold.

Ironic that one of the original researchers, Professor Maree Smith, recently received the prestigious ATSE Clunies Ross Award for her work in developing EMA401. I sometimes ask myself whether Novartis acquired Spinifex in order to supress this drug for some nefarious reason, whilst PHN sufferers await in vain to benefit from Spinifex's ground-breaking research. But maybe I just have a suspicious nature. 

Do let's share any further info we are able to get.

John

• Posted

Good news, John. It is in the pipeline.  Here is where I found it https://www.novartis.com/our-work/research-development/clinical-pipeline#ui-id-1=4

I  have chronic (central regional pain syndrome) pain post stroke and take nothing for it because I can't stand the effects of gabapentin et al.  I'll put up with the pain to keep my wits. I don't tolerate any of the traditional pain meds very well.  Am looking forward to EMA401 coming to market but it looks like a four-year wait.

Hope to see a response from you in case you have further information.

• Posted

You have to be suspicious of the motives of any multinational Drug company in developing drugs in critical areas where billions could possibly be made. If you have dealt with people from multinational Drug companies or worked for them you realise altruistic DNA does not exist in their bodies. Among the most soulless individuals I have ever come across. But Drug companies do have a vision....what their internal rate of return has be on any major investment they make. We know what we are dealing with, if we understand that mindset. It follows unfortunately that you and I, among the many pain affected minions needing pain relief,,will ever have any idea of what the Drug Company’s strategy will be with regard to progressing for example EMA 401 through to FDA approval.  I have tried my best from a number of angles to get a handle on what the future holds for EMA401. No one who was involved in the original development of EMA401 (or in the management of Spinifex Inc. /Spinifex Australia) is interested in telling you anything of a substantive nature about the future development/progress  of EMA401 Clearly Novartis would have required Spinifex key employess and major financial beneficiaries to sign Confidentiality clauses restricting them from making any comments on EMA401.
    • Posted

I am surprised at the thoroughness Wikipedia is following this drug.  Just put "EMA401" in the Wikipedia search engine and an amazing amount of information is available.   At the top of the EMA401 page it notes "A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2016)"     I think I will just check in with Wikipedia occasionally to keep track of it!

The Wikipedia update says that new trials are scheduled for 2018.  

Here is the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMA401

• Posted

John, do you know if you can get EMA401 in the United States or if I can get in a study for the Post Shingles Pain. I have had the pain for over 1 year and it doesn't seem to be any better in the last 8 month. I have tried so mant things and the doctors don't seem to know very much about it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.