Enbrel. How long does it take to work?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm on the higher dose of Mrs and have now been put on enbrel after trying several other dmards with no success. I've only been on enbrel two weeks but I'm sure I can feel an improvement. Has anyone else had this happen or can anyone share their experiences with enbrel? Thanks.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lauraine,

I'm on Benepali which is a bio similar of Enbrel. I have been on it 5 weeks, but I noticed a difference almost immediately. It said 2-12 weeks to work, but it definitely started to work quicker.

This is the first time all year I've not been on steroids and been pain free!

Good luck with yours. I hope this continues for both of us!

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your response. I think the reason I was sort of shocked by this almost immediate reaction to enbrel was because previously I had tried Humira and this can take weeks to have any effect. It actually had no effect for me hence being put on the enbrel which I am glad to say does seem to be working for me!

I'm glad it's working for you too. And no side effects either. Bonus. Injection day tomorrow. Looking forward to it. No prednisolone either somy weight is steadily coming back down. Happy days. Thanks again for your reply.

Lauraine.

• Posted

Hi Lauraine,

Enbrel came on the market mid nineties. It is a TNF drug. I tok it for 9 years successfully.

No DMARD gives instantaneous results like an opoid does because it takes time to modify a disease...2 weeks, your body is still adjusting. Be patient, remember Rheumatoid needs rest (not to be confused with sleep), warmth, elevation, proper compression to rapidly reduce swelling, ice, range of motion exercises several times per day, and an upbeat attitude.

So back to time, it may take 3 to 6 months to change the direction of your Tumor Necrosis Factor driven rheumatoid. Remember DMARD is disease modifying...

Stay in touch,

kind regards

judith

54 years with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis...I was 11

• Posted

Hi Judith. Thank you for your reply. Wow. Had enbrel been going that long? Tomorrow (tues) will be my 4th week. I am definitely feeling a difference. An improvement. No side effects. Injection is relatively painless and no irritation of the needle site.

I had been on a few different dmards including Humira. Nothing worked. I can honestly say I was getting very upset but hopefully this is the one. I havnt needed to take hardly any pain relief over the past week.

Thank you again for taking time to reply to me.

Lauraine.

• Posted

I am now on week 6 of enbrel and over the weeks I have been taking it I have noticed a marked improvement in my hands wrists and I have more movement but I'm not sure if I'm experiencing side effects. About the same time I started to take it I got slight flu like symptoms but given the time of year I just kind of thought I've got a cold or flu. I have been really tired but having fibromyalgia I just put that down to that. But now I am very short of breath. Just walking from one room to another can leave me with shallow breaths.

I had my thyroid removed leaving just half a pyro thyroid working and I'm not sure if I'm suffering that way. I'm not on thyroxine but I don't want to go to my gp and ask for a tft as I hate having to tell them how to do their job. I looked up thyroid symtoms and I ticked all the boxes and I'm kind of hoping it's that rather than side effects of etanercept as I don't want to stop it. Sorry to go on and on. What do you think? I've got an appointment with the gp on Monday.

• Posted

For the gentleman who remove his thyroid and he is not on thyroxine tell him to use 150 thyroxine daily do complete TSH tear need to be 0.1 -0.5 T4 Also need to be within normal range plus thyroglobulin, if thyroglobulin in present in a test means no cancer exist , for the parathyroid glands he need to use 1200 calcium carbonate daily Rocatrol 0.25 2x2 plus magnesium 1000 daily I use thyroxine 150 daily on weekends 200 the gentleman who mention to you advise him to use I was operated for Thyroid cancer without thyroid he cannot function and is no effected by ENBREL one is different from the otherĀ 
  • Posted

Hi, my husband has been on humira now for 6 weeks I' not sure

how similar it is to enbrel but our rheumatologist said it takes

90 days really for it to take full effect.My husband has said he

can feel it working for the first 3 to 4 days then itseems to fade.

Hope you have great success with your new treatment

• Posted

Hi,

Both Enbrel and Humira are TNF biologics...if one ceases to be effective, the other one probably will not work either.

Kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

I too have tried Humira but sadly that difnt work for me.

I believe they are similar or so I have been told by someone else.

It's week 4 now and I am definitely feeling an improvement.

Thanks again for your kind reply.

All the best to your husband on his medication.

Lauraine.

• Posted

Hi Lauraine,glad your feeling an improvement.My husband is still

working through not feeling well.He feels right now kind of blah

with so many medications running through him,he said it makes

him feel sick.I know finding the right "cocktail" of meds is a trial

and error thing but it is draining when you have tried and tried and

still feel pain along with high inflammation markers, it makes you

wonder how long a body can endure before it wears completely

out sad   Take care

• Posted

I know that feeling. Have at times thought about homeopathic route as it makes me feel sick just thinking about the chemicals and tixins in all these remedies but then I just think no doctor knows best.

I think sometimes the nausea and fatigue are better than the pain . But it's a lesser of two evils. I will carry on with the enbrel as up to now I have had no bad side effects.

I read on here about disease modifying takes time but I've been suffering for 17 years now. 6 of those years undiagnosed but 11 years ago diagnosed and put on methtrexate and ever since been trying a few different dmards including humira.

I'm only on week 4 and I have seen results. Relations have pointed out my hands look less swollen and puffy and they are less painful. So I am hoping that after such a good start things will get better.

I hope your husband finds something to work soon. I read somewhere on here earlier that humira started to work for someone after 12 months!!

• Posted

Lauraine, it does sound like the injection is working.Stay

positive and smile when you see even small improvements.

Your family sounds very supportive.I know how it feels to

go so long undiagnosed.I went 10 years just for my fibro

to be confirmed.I am also on a dmards for ??? still working

on other inflammatory symptoms and now my osteoarthritis

is running a muck..Ugh!! We just have to keep going and find

a way to enjoy life as best we can.

• Posted

Hi Tory. Only just seen your reply as hotmail have put Patient into my junk for some reason.

Yes any improvement no matter how small is good . I'm sticking to the weekly injections although I dread injecting ha ha. But I do actually count down the days as I see more improvement the days following the injection.

I've recently stopped prednisolone and been put on naproxen instead and they seem to be helping too. Things would be great had it not been for the common cold I picked up a couple of weeks ago. And you know how it is.. it got a hold of me but hey there's worse out there then me.

But thanks again for your help and advice. Take care .

• Posted

Hi Lauraine

I have decided to leave Patient in the junk because it is so much easier having it separate from my other email...chuckle chuckle...I am responding from my junk...too funny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.