Enbrel or Humira

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I have recently been diagnosed with AS. At my last hospital visit the consultant gave me a self assessment form about my level of pain and mobility. I have to complete it again in 2 months when I go back to see if there has been any change - the consultant did say it was very unlikely there would be, but there is a process to follow. Anyway, she said when I return I could choose between Enbrel and Humira, and gave me some literature on them both. I understand that everyone is different, but wondered if anyone else could comment on the highs and lows of both drugs. I am 44 years old, and the main problem is in my neck. I can look left and right, with limitations, but cannot tilt my head to the side or look up. The anti-inflammatory drug that has so far worked best for me is Naproxen. Also do you have to continue with pain killers or are the injection a replacement for the anti-inflammatory drugs only. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, some answers - you don't need to continue with other meds if there is a tremendous improvement. It's up to your specific reaction and medical condition. For me Humira worked like a miracle on the first day. Gradually its efficiency decreased almost to zero in some shots. Now I am off it but consider to get back to give it another try. One of the main advantages of Humira is that you inject it yourself. I am 39 working full time, a mother and it's the best option for me routine wise. Sorry that I could not be more helpful. There are lots of side effects listed for both meds. They don't happen to everyone. It's scary but you won't know what works for you until you try.. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks so much ama. I am sorry the injections stopped working for you, hope they do if you give them another try. Am pleased to hear that I might be able to give up the other tablets. I have been taking over 20 tablets each day for years and feel I might have developed a dependency, but simply cannot get through the day without them, as I'm sure you can understand. Again, thank you so much, and the very best of luck to you xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hey there! there's nothing to worry about with regards to the injections themselves there easy to do at home. I agree that each one effects people differently and you have to try different combinations to find out which is the best for you. humira was great at first then wore off I've tried all of the anti tnf.unfortunately no effect but stay strong give it a go and see what happens.

on the forms I usually have to fill in each and every time I go to the hospital.

good luck

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi emm. Thank you so much for your reply. I am so sorry the drugs did not work for you. There is so much research happening that there might be something just around the corner that will work for you.

The replies that I have had have helped so much, just knowing that there are people who understand and want to help by sharing their experiences means an enormous amount to me.

Again thank you emm and all the very best of luck to you xxx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up