Encouragement and positive outcomes appreciated

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello ladies, I am new to this site and looking for some encouragement. I'm 45 and I had a robotic assisted hysterectomy six days ago. They removed both ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix. I have five small incisions above my belly button. They are waiting to start me on estrogen for two weeks to decrease risk of blood clots. So far, I have had no complications and am nervous that they will happen based on so many others' stories. I have always had anxiety and that doesn't help regarding the fear of problems that could arise. I have two young children who have a hard time understanding what mommy is going through. My husband is already showing signs of caregiver burnout. My frustration lies with the fact that I just don't feel well. To say I am exhausted is an understatement. The exhaustion leads to feelings of nausea and just overall illness, like I have the flu. Sitting up in the chair is even hard at times but I force myself to do it. My bedroom is on the second floor and I am able to manage doing the stairs slowly about three times a day. I don't tolerate pain medications so I am down to only taking Bromelain which seems to be helping somewhat. My digestive system is having a hard time getting readjusted I can tell. It is uncomfortable after I eat but I'm sure that's normal. I'm normally a very active and busy person so being down and feeling rotten for six days has been very emotionally and physically challenging for me. Not to mention, I'm pretty darn lonely since I am alone most of the day. Sorry for the rambling, I am just looking for some encouraging feedback and positive experiences to help keep my mind focused in the right direction. Some of the posts I read say it took over eight weeks to feel like they could do anything and that is just not possible in my world. Thank you in advance for any advice and hope you can give me!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heidi I also had the same as you everything removed with keyhole 5 incisions. . And I bounced back great yes I had pain and crampy and I did have gas and bm problems but my doctor had me on pain meds and stool softners so they helped.. But if your feel really bad you may need to go back and see your doctor and tell him how your doing.. and I also had help my husband and my 3 boys were great but y boys are older so that does make a difference.. Hang in there it will get better.. But as I said if your feeling terribleaybe a trip back to the doctor is what you need. Please keep me posted!
    • Posted

Thank you! I've now developed diarrhea and really bad gas pain at the one week mark. Doc is aware but not concerned as long as I stay hydrated. Back to liquids which means more weakness. I appreciate the reply and encouragement! I'm working on being more positive and patient🤗

• Posted

It so difficult to tell at this time of the year what may be causing symptoms. I had norovirus at week 3 and it ranged from a night spent being sick, two to three days of stomach cramps and then the icing on the cake was diahorrea for the next two days. Appetite went down, didn't walk and then I got better. Remember 'this too shall pass' (TTSP). The absolute pain was after I felt better I was just as heavy as pre -op and that is not good news! keep in touch with family doctor or contact hospital if things don't improve. And keep in touch with this forum. I have found it really helpful. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Heidi,

Sorry you're struggling with this. The surgery you had is major and life changing!  It's early days for you!  It really comes down to how much time your body will need to recuperate properly. Your body is having a natural reaction to what happened and letting you know you need to rest. That may not seem possible to you, but it's very necessary.

If you don't give yourself time to heal, there could be problems for you down the road.  External stitches take less time to heal than the internal ones.  Internal stitches can take 6-8 weeks or more to heal depending on your age and general health. By not resting properly, it will actually take longer for you to heal.

Life brings all of us challenges.  Hopefully, yours are temporary.  Though your children are young, and may not understand, you can still lovingly  impose limits. You can remind your husband that his care and support mean the world to you.

Please try to take it one day at a time. Know that each moment you give yourself rest and peace you are getting closer to healing!

Best of luck to you! 

• Posted

Hi. I had my hysterectomy 6weeks ago and still feel tired. Take care not to push yourself too hard. The first few days I just walked to the bottom of the drive or the footpath past the side of my house and then extended it slowly so that I can now do 3 miles but I do need to sleep afterwards. In the first couple of weeks I was going back to bed at least twice for rests. I got a fitbit for xmas and can watch my step count each day. I have set my target for 10000 this week but don't always make it. Each person is different and it also depends on reasons for surgery. Menopause symptoms may also be sneaking in. I am well past menopause but last week I had quite a few hot moments. These seem to have gone again. Perhaps you should see family doctor to make sure all is ok. Good luck 

• Posted

Hello Heidi I'm 40 got a 7 year old and 11 year old and I'm 10 weeks post op full abdominal hystectomy everything removed, on HRT to combat the menopause and like you a busy active person who has and is still frustrated in not being able to be my normal self :-( don't push yourself it takes time and lots of it :-) I am still exhausted and not back at work yet, it's a major operation and it took me 6 weeks to even start doing housework, teas, was my hair and apply make up... let the guys look after you at least its crap weather I just keep thinking I will feel 100% in the summer! I like you couldn't tolerate pain meds but found peppermint tea helped loads, colpemin tablets, stool softners too were good 😊 I am however not in the pain I was in before the Op so I'm thankful of that! Your not alone Heidi get some box sets downloaded and enjoy the rest :-) get well soon Karen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.