Encouragement for anyone having Open Myomectomy Surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

It is 10 days now since I had Open Myomectomy surgery. 32 Fibroids were removed, which surprised me, and I was in hospital for 5 nights. I am now home and getting stronger each day. The days before the surgery were anxious days but at the same time I was looking forward to the sugery and being free from the many symptons that fibroids cause. I had a great surgeon and anathestist and went fully prepared mentally, physically and spiritually for the surgery.

Surgery took 2 hours and remember being brought back to my hospital bed hooked up to IV fluids, catheter, oxygen and equipment on my legs to stop blood clots. Pain was minimal, similar to mild period pain and I was encouraged to use the Morphine pump to manage the pain for 2 days. Morphine did make me feel nauseated which is common.  Once I was free from catheter and IVs on day 3 I was encouraged to do my Pelvic exercises and to walk around the hospital corridor. I was given paracetamol and ibuprophen at regular intervals and BP, tempearture and Pulse was moniored on a regular basis, which were all fine. I was encouraged to drink more fluids and had no issues with empyting my bladder or bowels so knew everything was working OK. Getting in and out of bed and sitting up was difficult during the first 5 days but  became easier each day. Its amazing how much we rely on our stomach muscles for so many things. Once I was home on Day 6 I started doing very light duties around the house and a 10 minute walk outside plus regular naps whenever I felt fatigue. I can now do 15 minute walks and looking forward to getting stronger each day. I have some swelling around the incision but that is normal at this stage.  Will see the surgeon 20 days after my surgery for post-op checks.

Overall my surgery went very well and I am very pleased with the progress I am making. Although Open Myomectomy is major surgery, becasue of the advance in technology, the skills of the surgeon and the excellent pain management and hospital care  it is  a much easier experience than I thouht it would be.

If you have been told by your consultant that you need Open Myomectomy surgery do not be afraid, focus on the positive aspects of being free of fibroids symptons, read up on the procedure, watch videos of the procedure if your that way inclined, understand the risks, prepare yourself physically and mentally and follow the advice given by your consultant on the aftercare.

I am grateful to God that my surgery went well and I am looking forward to getting back to the gym in dure course and having a better quality of life without fibroids.

Be encouraged, don't be fearful smile

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for your positive post.

How many fibroids were u told u had before the surgery?

• Posted

Before the surgery I was told I had multiple fibroids around the uterus and a uterus the size of a 5 month pregnancy. I had a number of scans at different hospitals and was told I had 3 fibroids around 7cm and various small ones, but no concrete total number was ever given. 
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you a smooth & speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Thanks for your post! So glad to hear it went well! I'm scheduled for one on the 10th Feb...
    • Posted

Thanks very much, all the very best with yours on the 10th Feb.
  • Posted

F91864 my mouth was wide open reading your experience that was so amazing and it can only be ahoe . Congrats you I pray that God will perfect your healing
  • Posted

Thanks so much, God bless you.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I wish you speedy recovery. 
  • Posted

Thanks, all the very best
  • Posted

That's awesome. I had my 2nd open myomectomy 8/15. The doctor discovered endometriosis. After doing some research I learned that having uterine surgery puts women at risk for endometriosis. And I read that the symptoms are the same as fibroids.
  • Posted

2nd Myomectomy is common for those who are young as fibroids can come back after 2 or 3 years.  I was not aware of endometriosis link and will ask the consutant at my post op appointment.  Hopefully you will get treatment for your endometriosis and be rid of it. All the best.
    • Posted

I was 35 when i had the first myomectomy and 43 with the 2nd. Thankfully my cycle is VERY irregular so I have only felt the painful period once since the surgery in August. I know that i didn't have endometriosis growing up. And the first surgeon never brought it to my attention. So I can only assume that it was brought on after the first surgery.
    • Posted

endometriosis? I am going for my first myomectomy next week and have never heard of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.