encouraging experience..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wanted to share this to try and encourage people as I know in my own journey I have been looking for encouragement myself from these forums. Into my 8th week of citalopram, this last week has been much better, less PAs and very little anxiety or depression. I did start to do high intensity training last Saturday  and have kept this up during the week each morning, every day. Sure the improvement is linked into both the meds and exercise. Due to go back to work on Monday and feeling ok about it. I haven't really had any side effects. I have read 2 books that have been really informative, one of which suggests that the side effects listed on the leaflets are a rarity ( though by the many people who do experience them on this site it might not be so) but unfortunately it makes people worry about them and almost expect them. 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tim. Glad to hear things are more positive for you. I think its easy to forget that although many people do have side effects there are probably thousands who really benefit but the bad reports do tend to be offputting especially as people are already anxious and panicky before they start. As you say it gives the impression that side effects are to be expected and when you are already anxious you kust worry yourself into it. I only had bad effects for aroubd two weeks before i felt things were improving. I felt very nauseous and still do first thing in the morning but the benefits outweigh the downs. All the best to you. Lesley
  • Posted

Thanks for your positivity Tim, I'm 2 weeks on 10mg of Citalopram and feeling much better. Hoping to go back to work after Xmas I've been going out for a fast walk most days and going to start exercising in the next few days as it definitely helps Debbie

• Posted

Hey Tim

Glad to hear you've started to feel better - the power of exercise eh!!  Such a great benefit in helping towards recovery, along with the medication.  

Yes the information leaflet lists ALL possible side effects, and everyone has different experiences on them and to varying degrees too, with many having some of them and some having none at all.  Mind you, not many people read the leaflet wink

Hope it continues to go well for you - let us know how it goes.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for the comments. Went back work today and tbh it was hard, had some panic and anxiety but maybe that was due to not doing exercise in the morning and forgetting to take my meds, though surely missing one day wouldn't make me feel worse ?! I did have a better week prior to today as I mentioned so I am hoping for a better day tomorrow...

• Posted

Well done for going back to work Tim, I've been off 2 weeks and got another 2 weeks off and I know I should really go back in 2 weeks but scared of the anxiety and panic due to stressful job. I'm currently looki g for part time work and looking forward to it as need to be occupied now

• Posted

I'm quite fortunate as my job isn't so stressful but even so just hoping I feel better tomorrow as I'm feeling rough right now which from how I was yesterday and last week this would seem to be the furthest from how I thought I'd feel...

• Posted

Hi Tim

I've had a really good day today o get a little anxious on a morning before I go out but I do it anyway and I'm fine once I've faced it. I know it's only been 2 weeks so I'm maybe another month I should be back to my normal happy self but tbh I'm happy now and looking forward to things instead of dreading them but the work situation I'm going to not think about yet

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing really well and yes I think you're right not to think about work at present.. take care.

• Posted

I expect having panic and anxiety was due to apprehension of going back to work.  It's surprising what small things will cause it when you're recovering.  A bit like 'first day nerves'.

Being busy, working with people and the normal routine is good for recovery.  When you're at work try and go around in a relaxed manner - let go of tension and 'float' around.  It'll help sooth those nerves and release tension which adds to anxiety.

Could you not fit your exercise in before work?  How do you travel to work?  There's all sort of things you could do - park further away or get off the bus earlier and walk / jog maybe, run upstairs instead of the lift etc.  Remember though when you're not exercising, to let go of the tension - you don't need to rush about all the time.

Also either get up an hour earlier or exercise at night maybe?

Missing meds won't make you slip backwards, but you may feel a bit nauseous for the day.  Maybe keep some meds in your work bag so they're always handy in case you do miss a dose.

• Posted

Work is a coping mechanism for me so I'm quite fortunate. It's just when it gets so bad I can't function that I can't work but that is rare..I do HITT exercise in the morning, it's meant to help you for 5/6 hrs and reduce panics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.