End Stage Meniere's- Post Op Labarynthectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I started getting the typical symptoms (starting with tinnitus and fullness, then quickly getting episodic vertigonious drop attacks) around age 16 and was officially diagnosed by 19 with unilateral Meniere's. It progressed rapidly and now, at 27 years old, all treatments were no longer working as of 4 months ago. In order to be able to live a somewhat normal lifestyle, it was agreed that I would need the labarynthectomy on the bad ear and I am now about 2 weeks post-op. Has anybody here gotten the labarynthectomy?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear mopreki, very sorry you have reached this point. 

Eleven years is a long time to suffer from this mess. 

I can only speak from my experience with doctors. I do not mean to imply doctors do not try and find out what ails you. I went to several different doctors and two hospitals looking for help, I just had poor luck.

Have you incluced a nurologist? If you have not had an EEG test it would be a good idea. I spent twenty years thinking I had Meniere's. I had been at the drop attack stage for several years.

Have you had any other problems such as memory issues?

Brain seizuers can look like Menirere's. I found out there are many different kinds of seizures. Mine were frontal lobe. I was treated for the wrong problem for years.

Now with seizure medication all of my symptioms are under control. Except for tinnitus which I have learned to live with. Minor compared to falling down and breaking parts.

If you have already been the brain route I can only wish you the best of luck.

Very sorry for your pain.

Dan T.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've reached this state at such an early age - you've been suffering for such a long time.  I was diagnosed 15 months ago, and while  I have not had a labyrinthectomy, I was informed of it as an alternative measure if conservative measures failed me.   The oral medication/dietary change route alone, was a failure, but I'm currently experiencing a reprieve from vertigo after 9 intratympanic injections with steroids.  I would not hesitate to have the labyrinthectomy however, if I were still suffering with vertigo after 8 years with no relief!

Is it too early to tell if the surgery worked?  How are you feeling?  Are you free from vertigo, nausea and tinnitus? I'm guessing that you will have to undergo some balance training? I know that you have to sacrifice hearing on the bad side (although mine is almost gone already) but thank God there was something still available to you, after exhausting all of the other modes of treatment.

Please let us know how you're doing.  I so appreciate your sharing your story.  I'm sure that at some point, this surgery might be the only option left for some of us.

Sincerely,

J

• Posted

Hey all,

Will update on everything in a new thread.

Thanks for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.