Endomentrial cancer survival rate and recurrence rate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am endomentrial cancer survivor. Had TAH removing uterus, cervix, Fallopian tubes mid February this year. Cancer stage is 1A, well differentiated cell. No adjuvant therapy or radiation given after operation but on once every 3-months review for the next 3 years.

I am trying my best to accept reality of myself as cancer survivor at 38 years old. Frequently reminding ownself to eat healthy and exercise more to reduce risk of recurrence. Any news of relatives or friends passed away of cancer will cause an uneasiness feeling.

Had been browsing the Internet on 5-year and 10-year survival rate for endomentrial cancer. To members out there who survived this cancer more the standard 5-year Doctor use as a guidelines, hope you could share your battle fighting story with me. It will be a story that offer words of comfort and courage to all endomentrial cancer survivor and especially for me to overcome my emotional problems. Many thanks.....

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, I also had stage 1A, I'm only at 20 months post diagnosis and 19 months post op everything taken away including ovaries, have you also had ovaries taken as you don't mention that? I didn't have any follow up treatment either but I see my consultant 6 monthly for 3 years.

Try not to look too much up on the internet, while the internet is a wonderful invention most of the time it can also be very damaging, I can't talk though as I tend to do it as well, and it is natural to want to do that, there is a very good charity called The Eve Appeal and they have a trained nurse on there who you can ask any manner of questions, they are very good they also have survivor stories on there and you can also share yours if you are interested.

Take care, keep thinking positive.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. 

How is your UTI? Recovered? Do get well soon.

I had my ovaries retained as doctor deemed it carry more health benefits to me than removing it. I am concern on hormone imbalance especially excess of estrogen, the culprit of endometrial cancer recurrence and breast cancer but doctor brushed it off as irrelevant concern.

Yeah, been reading lots and tons of articles on endomentrial cancer (thanks to workplace in education sector with access to online journal database).

Will check out on The Eve Appeal. Thanks for sharing :-)

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thanks, UTI almost clear now, actually had a good nights sleep last night, seems to help.

Yes I was also told about oestrogen being the culprit, I have been trying desperately to lose weight as fat cells feed the oestrogen but I am really struggling.

The Eve Appeal is really good and it's the only charity that covers all ladies gynacological cancers (UK) I don't know about other countries so I try to support them as much as possible.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

I just register myself at The Eve Appeal :-) Seems to have lots of information and I am browsing on it now (oh oh... someone reminded me not th read too much from Internet ...LOL...).

Yeah, to find a specific cancer support group is hard especially in Asia countries and this is partly why Internet is my buddy when I was first diagnose with endomentrial cancer.

• Posted

LOL..... Hope it helps a bit.

It's not an easy thing getting this type of diagnosis and yes I too am guilty of consulting 'Dr Google' trouble is you begin to think you could have this,this and this and it ends up making your head ache, take my UTI for example my first thought was that the cancer had spread to my kidneys instead of being just a simple UTI, cystitis can be a side effect of the hysterectomy and could possibly be a recurring thing, shame we don't get told these things then perhaps we wouldn't worry quite as much.

• Posted

Hahahhaaa.... Now we sync well <wink>. All of us do suffer the "post trauma" of the "what if" cancer recurrence. I also have lot of "what if" concern like you. My "what if" is also pretty long though (LOL).. What if the pulling and niggling pain surrounding pelvis area not getting better, what if micro cancer cells has invaded and grow, what if the gassy and bloated stomach is symptom of recurrence and etc. 

• Posted

Yep me too, my tummy seems constantly bloated and it seems also to have changed shape, my consultant says all is well, no enlarged liver etc but you still worry, it's only natural, I'm UTI free now and didn't need anti biotics, I have just drunk plenty stopped coffee drinking, I don't drink alcohol, I do try to eat healthy, am vegetarian, but on Friday last week when the UTI started...out came the laptop/tablet etc etc....but Sue you mustn't look too much up on the internet............................oh yes perhaps I should listen to myself LOL rolleyes

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hey ... I feel your pain , I had the same as you last oct I had the op ! Horrible op ! I was 36 at the time.... I worry that i reaccures , I have managed to tone up and get my body back after no exercise for months and the scar is clearing up nicely however I still have the same niggling pain on my left side and my tummy flares up like it did before ....does this happen to you ??

I don't want to go to the dr is this is normal as I know how busy they are ??.

Look forward to hearing back from you x

• Posted

Hi Liza,

Yes! I do have pain both side near pelvic bone and it is more obvious after exercise (for me 25 minutes on treadmill will trigger it). It is like a pulling sensation and sometimes if seated too long in the office or stuck in the traffic, there will be a sudden sharp pain when getting out of seated position. Stomach -- there is sign of slight bloatedness on and off. I still suffer lower back pain that pulls up to my neck and shoulder. Do you encounter the same problem? Been going for acupunture session once every 2 weeks and alternate herbs medication. 

Been informed by Doctor to watch my weight and to loss 13 kg. At moment manage to trim only 8 kg and find it difficult to cut further. Any good suggestion from you? I think we both suffer endomentrial cancer due to high estrogen. What is your biopsy report diagnosis - hope you don't mind to share.

Take care and hope we did get better soon. Fighting!! 

• Posted

I too had endometrial cancer at 51.

I believe I was lucky in some ways, I had a really good gyno, he explained to me that the only people who die from Endo cancer are the elderly ladies who have ignored bleeding long after their natural cyles have ended.

Apparently it is a very slow growing cancer, or that what I was told. Never have had any re-occurance of problems since pelvic clearance, incl ovaries. 15 years on now, I don't oftern think about it.

Can relate to where you are coming from, having lost family members to other cancers, advanced and only because symtoms were ignored due to fear, curable cancer if she had gone to Dr five years before she did, silly silly lady.

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for your reply. Wow! 15 years and sound good to hear that :-)

Yes, endometrial cancer is a slow growing cancer. I am reducing very hard on sugar, carbohydrate, processed foods and dairies from my diet now. Managed to control weight with all those restriction foods crossed-out but wonder whether able to sustain it for long term. What is your present diet like, if you don't mind to share? I think lots of members here having some weight management issue. We all know we need to control our weight due to oestrogen (I did not remove ovaries). 

With few family members dying from cancer (1 colon cancer, 1 breast cancer, 1 colon cancer recurrence and no cure, 1 breast cancer survivor), any words of someone suffering cancer trigger an uneasiness feeling. Trying hard to adjust and accept reality. Hearing your story of 15 years survival and still healthy is very comforting. Thanks for sharing <Hugs>...

• Posted

You will be interested to know in my case my younger sister 5 years younger than me, and 5 years almost to the day was also diagnosed with endometrial cancer, of course same result pelvic clearance for her too.

Then the questions started to arise in our heads, was our Mum also a victim, she had a hysterectomy when we were in our 20's, so we were not really interested at the time. My sister the one above is a very senior nurse, so was able to access Mums file, guess what, same diagnoses.

We are both aware now to tell our daughters, we have one each, to watch for occurance in their lives, personally I think my daughter has a risk factor that needs to be watched, symtoms the same as mine, very heavy bleeding during periods.

Another issue apparently is if you are overweight this is also a risk factor, and of course both me and my sister are on the heavy side, as was our Mum,  but we both try to watch our weight, and eat healthy. We grow our own garden, and i try to think about eating like my grandma did on the farm, no processed rubbish, nothing she didn't have, if i want oranges I eat the real thing rather than out of a container.

I think to get the right idea.

I also have found very good dietitan, who has helped us with portion sizes and food that are good for us, just tweaking what I already knew, she has helped alot..

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

Wow! you never fail to impress me. You practise a very very healthy diet. Having own garden and greenies and consuming only organics -- this is an ideal living place. Guess, I need to eat more more healthy though fruits and vege I bought may not be organics. I am the 1st in the family with endomentrial cancer. No family history for this cancer except for colon and breast cancer. 

Yes, weight management is important for us. I am too struggling with it as I believed most members here faced the same problem. Mind if you could share your present diet? Mine now is a bit of meat (definately not processed meat), no or limit dairies product, limit of rice and bread (Asian can't leave without rice), more vegetables and more fruits high in Vitamin C (Doctor said Vitamin C helps to kill cancer cells). Since I cut off dairies, I am trying to substitute it with almonds and tofu and other nuts for calcium (we are prone to osteoprosis as no more hormones produce by ovaries). How about you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.