Endometrioma cyst on my ovary

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with a growing endometrioma cyst on my ovary which the doctors want to remove. Has anyone else had experience with this both having it removed by surgery or taking the watching and waiting approach? They cyst causes me pain daily and does interfere with my every day life due to the pain. The doctor also said that due to the endometrioma cyst forming he thinks I've probably got endometriosis too?

Thank you for your help!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was initially diagnosed with an 8cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary but a recent mri revealed its actually an endometrioma which was a bit of a surprise as I had absolutely no idea I had endo, I certainly haven't had the 'classic' symptoms. Thankfully I'm not in too much pain with it, mostly mild cramping but of course some days are a bit worse. I'm waiting for a date to have a laparoscopy to remove the ovary, possible hysterectomy as apparently my womb is a sticky mess (because of the endo).

I think if you are suffering quite badly with it then you should maybe have it removed (are they just looking to remove the cyst or the whole ovary??) It's a tricky decision. Unfortunately there isn't a cure for endo sad having the cyst/ovary removed may relieve the pain you're having but there's a chance it could come back again xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

Bless you, sounds like you've been through it. I hope that you're not waiting too long for the surgery to get things sorted!!

I've asked them to do the minimum that they need to in order to sort things out so they're going to try and drain the cyst first rather than remove the cyst/ovary as I'm only in my 20s with no children. I've only had trans ultrasounds so I'm a bit concerned now that there may be more going on in the endometriosis front than they know! I'm sure I'll find out when they take me for surgery!

• Posted

Yeah I've said to my gynaecologist to save my womb and ovaries if possible but obviously if it looks sinister when they do the lap then I'll have no choice but to go ahead with the hysterectomy sad I'm lucky I have two boys so I completely understand you wanting to save your organs if you are planning a family in the future.

Fingers crossed we get some good news soon xx

• Posted

Hi,

Can I ask if your deliveries were normal or c section? I have a 3cm endometric cyst on left ovary and abdominal pain (not pelvic). Dr think I have endometriosis which is causing the pain but surprisingly I don't think I had it before - have 2 kids and no infertility issues but had c sections (second one with placenta accreta). He suggested laproscopy ovarian cystectomy with diathermy for endo (and possibly adhesion treatment too). I took a second opinion and this gynae is completely against laproscopy given my past history and thinks adhesions are root cause of the pain, probably very little endo given that I had no problem in conceiving in the past. He proposes to address cyst removal and adhesion treatment through laprotomy (open surgery). He is worried that laproscopy may end up puncturing intestines etc given that my abdomen would be in a 'mess ' due to two c sections (no abdominal ultrasounds done recently) and open surgery gives them a better view to treat the problem. Both gynaes feel previous c sections are the reason for their approach. I am thoroughly confused which procedure to go by. Only done transvaginal u/s which let's them see the endo cyst. And now recommended surgery after 3/4 months of watch and wait. did you have similar feedback if you had c section deliveries before?

• Posted

I had an emergency csection in 2010 and a normal delivery in 2013. I took just under a year to conceive both times but that's probably about average.

Surely the laparoscopy would be better for you as it would just be a few little wounds across your stomach rather than cutting the bikini line again (if you see what I mean). I guess if they were to do the open surgery they could trim away any old scar tissue from your csec. Its a tough decision, I've been told that they are starting with a laparoscopy but obviously if there are any issues (if the cut something they shouldn't or need better access, adhesions etc) then they will do the open surgery which I really want to avoid if possible.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your insights. It sure feels like a tough decision, hopefully it will be the right one!
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes I have done the 'wait and watch' approach. Diagnosed with 2.5 cm ovarian cyst on left ovary early jan 2016, put on a hormone pill from day 5 of my next cycle for 21 days to see if it shrinks and was asked to come back after 2 months for repeat scan (transvaginal ultrasound). It was still there after 2 months, almost same size. Was advised same as you - likely have endometriosis too and advised surgery or 'it can Create future problem). CA 125 was normal so I opted to come back in 2 months. Had the next scan last week and it's now almost 3 cm - not growing too fast . I have long and deep ovulation pain which is now virtually throughout the month so have opted for surgery. Not sure by laproscopy or open surgery though - as I have posted a few mts backin this discussion group!

• Posted

So the lap is done and results out. It was a 4cm endometriotic cyst on the left ovary. No endometriosis ( always thought it has to be there for an endo cyst to form) and few adhesions. Went for laproscopy finally and happy with the decision. It's exactly a week now and I feel more energetic, which is such a welcome situation from the healing from an open surgery - have had 2 c sections so can really see the difference. Went for post op check up today and have been asked to start Microgynon 30, contraceptive pills (has both progesterone and estrogen) to avoid cyst recurrence. For 3 cycles to start with. Have been reading up which is not always good and am aware of side effects. Have breast cysts too for a while and can't help but think if it will have any negative impact. Gynae does not think so. Would love to hear anyone's experience with this med.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.