Endoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive just had my third endoscopy and like the first 2 opted for sedation. The first 2 I felt a wave of relaxation come over me when the sedation was given and barely felt or remember anything. This time I felt the sedation didn't work. I tried to tell him it wasn't working and was told to just close my eyes and relax. I thought no way am I closing my eyes and letting them think I am sedated. He gave me a little more but still nothing, I felt and heard absolutely everything even baulking. When I was taken to recovery I felt a little sleepy but certainly not sedated. 3.5 mexpam is not enough. Why so tight on the sedation?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi babs49935

I had my third colonoscopy beginning of march. I had sedation and pain relief. Also entinox. All I remember about the whole thing was the pain. They removed three small polyps but left a 40mm sessile polyp in my ascending colon. They took biopsies of this one. Hope I don't need another colonoscopy. Dreading it.

• Posted

Are you sure they got it in the vein properly. My last one had a brilliant guy doing the sedation but that has not been my experience all the time although I have ever been in pain during the procedure. One I can remember every minute from beginning to end even now.
    • Posted

Hi etheremail. I had the consultant do mine. I was pretty sedated but still felt the pain. Not sure what to do about it for my next one
  • Posted

I am schedule to have a colonoscopy April 7 it is my first one.
    • Posted

Hi joe95619.

My first two were fine. Didn't have sedation for my first one. But my third one was different because I have other health problems. Don't be put off. Afterwards I always wonder why I get so stressed about it. Good luck

• Posted

I agree with ann32761. The biggest nuisance is the clear out the day before.
  • Posted

Hi. I'll add my bit, but it's nothing really. I've had only one colonoscopy and was mildly sedated. But like Etheremail (great name) I remember it all. Once with a bit of minor pain, the rest fine. I was very chatty and perky throughout. They were probably more relieved than I was when it was over! 
  • Posted

For anyone reading this about to have their first, I opted for no sedation and to have entinox available if I felt any discomfort. I had absolutely no pain, just a weird feeling as the camera went round the corners. I really wanted to see inside just for curiosity, and the doctor was very helpfull in giving a running comentary. 2 polyps removed. Nurses and other staff were brilliant in making it an easy experience. The worst for me was the laxative you had to drink tasted vile!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.