endoscopy/colonoscopy sedation or not

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last week.  I went through exactly  the same procedures as described in Crybaby's post and beforehand was worried, scared and didn't know what to do regarding sedation.

After having read numerous posts on this site, horror stories about sedation and not having sedation I decided the night before to have it and reasoned it wouldn't be offered without good reason. The Dr who was doing the procedure also said I should have it, (by the time I got into the room I was reasonably calm and just wanted to get the whole thing over and done with, so I don't think his recommendation had anything to do with me being particularly anxious) The mouth spray took a couple of minutes to kick in, whereas the sedation was almost immediate and it knocked me out, (although I had been told it wouldn't and I would remain conscious).  I remember nothing of the endoscopy, which was just what I wanted.  I came round towards the end of the colonoscopy which was done straight after the endoscopy and was in and out of consciousness towards  the end of the procedure and did have a little pain due to apparently having a particularly long colon. I believe the sedation kept me calm while the gastroentrologist had to try a few times to manoeuvre the camera in to different positions.

The recovery time after, was about  45 minutes and then a good sleep at home

I would definitely go for the sedation option if you are nervous  and worried as I was and actually I came out of the procedure thinking it wasn't so bad after all, it was alright.

I had my procedure done at Dewsbury hospital where I was well looked after by the staff who were kind, friendly and took time to explain things to me.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm so glad that you had such a positive experience. I hope that your results are also good. Perhaps my surgeon could have some lessons from yours!

• Posted

Thank you, my results were good, Sorry for your bad experience....it sounds like you were very unlucky
  • Posted

Glad to hear your results were good that's great news :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.