Endoscopy in 3 days time....im terrified!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

4 weeks ago i started getting a stitchy cramp like pain towards the bottom of my ribs. This continued for 2 weeks and then i started getting middle abdominal cramps and waves af really bad nausea and looser stools. Also waves of stitchy pain between my shoulder blades and sometimes feel like i have something stuck in my throat when i swallow. Since then ive had blood tests, urine tests, abdominal renal and pelvic ultrasounds and all are clear. Ive now been referred to a gasterentologist who has suggested an endoscopy. Im terrified of the procedure and what the results will be. Help!!!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Tell your gastroenterologist about your fears of the endoscopic procedure and he will note that you will need adequate sedation for your endoscopy.  My previous wife was in the same situation and was terrified that she needed an endoscopy to examine where the oesophagus joins the stomach.  She got adequate sedation and didn't even remember the procedure.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reassuring words. Ive only ever had one GA many years ago for a minor op but never had sedation. There are so many horror stories about sedative side effects and what can go wrong with the endoscopy procedure itself. I know i cant back out and need to find out what is causing my symptoms. Just all a bit scary!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I have had 2. I just had one this past Wed, they are not bad at all it is usually a five minute procedure. Some people experience a sore throat after but many do not. I was also scared to be put under but the whole thing goes very smoothly. On a lighter note they had to pump a little air in my stomach so when I woke up was very gasy, I kept apologizing to the nurse. I hope this comforts you.
  • Posted

Karen I have the exact same problems right now and I'm going through the same thing I know,this was posted a while ago but I really would,like to know what was said I'm so afraid please respindicate asap thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.