Enema almost everyday

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since about 4 years after taking something for sensitive bladder, I started to have chronic constipation. It's very seldom when I have any motility to be able to defecate. I have IBS, but in the past, it's never been bad enough to cause constipation like I'm having now. I had to take an enema almost every day since then. I had a colonoscopy three years ago and except for a tiny polyp, everything was clear. I've asked my primary health doctor if I should have another colonoscopy done and she said no.  Does anyone else here, have to avail themselves of a daily enema? On some boards I've read, they say a daily enema isn't harmful. Yet on others, I've read it's not good. Thank you for your feedback!  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Up until about 16 months ago, I used to use a suppository on one day and a water enema on the next.  No magic pill since then but by eating more slowly, and taking in olive oil with food (I used to avoid oil when possible) my gut works/ tries to work on most days.

​Just back from a week abroad and it struggled whilst away, so I still  use the suppositories when needed and occasionally Syrup of Figs.

• Posted

Hi! 

Thank you so much for your feedback.  I forgot to mention that I have lower stomach cramps something fierce on most days. That is how the bm announces itself.  I'll give those two things you've mentioned a try and see if it works.  (Think that's what I dread the most, is having to go away from my house for long periods). Thank you so much for the suggestion! 

• Posted

Hi Elita

?I know what you mean about worrying about leaving the house for long periods.  I used to worry a lot about going away on holiday as I knew there would be problems.  Nothing much worked last week, whilst I was away in Spain, but my body tried to work and I knew things would be a bit better when i got home again, which they have.  I'm sure there's a link between our guts and our brains, so we don't feel so good mentally when we just can't go to the loo!  I feel generally much calmer now, most of the time, knowing that my guts will at least be trying to do something on their own.....and olive oil is definitely a help (plus, in my case, eating salads...I forgot to mention that in my first post!)

• Posted

I started taking Flomax to help my bladder muscle relax and perform better ~ 1 month ago and, since then, I started getting constipated...I've used lackatives and suppositories and they have helped, but you're suppose to stop after 2 weeks....I have had an enema when nothing else worked...I've read where 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda in a quarter cup of hot water wiil make you have a bowel movement real fast....I'm going to try that today...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.