Enlarged ovart

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.

I would like some advice please.

I had a hysterectomy aged 34 but retained my ovaries. Which were basically stuck due to adhesions.

Now aged 54 I have had a problem with pain in lower back and hips. I also get pain on my left hand side and bloating with constipation and then diarrhoea. Which I put down to IBS although it has got worse (but then I do get sressed) .

Anyway to get to the point I had an MRI on back pelvis and hips because if ongoing pain in my lower back. This showed degenerative changes which were expected but also showed an enlargement of left ovary...2.9cm. So not big. But it has concerned me. The doctor only quickly scanned through the report as she read it as had not seen it til I went for an unrelated app.

I am a little concerned though and after I left I thought about it and it concerned me that it could get worse and nobody would check especially as I had a hysterectomy so long ago.

I have asked the Secretary if she could ask if I coukd have an ultrasound scan.

Am I being overly cautious?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't think so. My mother had a hysterectomy in 1957 and no-one knew she still had ovaries. In 1974 cysts on these blocked her bowel. She had another op to remove them. Fast forward to earlier this year and, when complaining about my bowel function, I asked my GP if I could be the same. He didn't think so but listened and sent me for ultrasound. I had a 9x8x6 cm cyst on right side. Four weeks ago I had a total abdominal hysterectomy. Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Makes me feel less silly pursuing it. Hope you are feeling better.
  • Posted

I'm 28 and begging for hysterectomy! I had a bilateral ovarian cystectomy a year ago and I'm back to square one although on scans no apparent cyst can be seen my left ovary is enlarged apparently the size of a tennis ball and now I have abnormally thinking uterus lining! I'm sick of the pain! They have done bloods for pcos and can't see anything that links with endometriosis so biopsy next! Pursue pursue! It's taken me another year of fighting and arguing to get an appointment!! Xx good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks Katy. I'm waiting to hear back if they will send me. Hope you are sorted out too. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.