Enlarged prostate?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm 71 and every time I have my prostate checked, (yearly) I'm told that it is enlarged slightly but at my age that's normal. I don't know if it's getting larger each time and what to expect if it keeps on  like that. I am peeing normally and don't get up during the night. I've had a major scare with bowel cancer so am probably a bit anxious, hopefully with no reason. I haven't used this particular forum before. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 70 and had turp 9 weeks ago, all is well now.  Peeing good and sleeping all night.  Prior to turp I had problems for 8 years or so and was treated with several different meds.  Got to the point of no sex because of the meds and in the last year had been up 5 - 6 times a night trying to pee and at times could not, what a PITA.  After turp I can pee like when I was 30 and being off the meds for awhile sex is good again.  You are lucky John not to have the problems an enlarged prostate can bring.  My uro tells me that the prostate continues to grow as long as we live and as long as we have one.  Be thankful you are peeing normally and that you can sleep through the night, you are blessed.

• Posted

I read someplace as we get older , we have less testosterone. One reason prostate grows is to counter that.
  • Posted

Hi John, Yes, as we get older, the prostate keeps growing. If you are peeing ok and never get up in the night, then all appears well. Do you ever get your PSA tested, as this is "the" test for the prostate's health.

At a recent MRI of my prostate, it was recorded as 37cc. Apparently, it should be about 25cc, if not enlarged. Some guys have whoppers...in the hundreds of cc.

A lot depends on the type of growth and if it impacts on the urethra and or base of the bladder. Some guys who are quite young have prostate issues already

And yes, we get into the 70's, cancer scares seem to line up for us now. Regular blood tests and other scans seem to be the way to keep in front

Geoff

• Posted

Sorry for jumping in here Geoff but I am interested to know if it is possible for only one area of the prostate to enlarge rather than the whole gland? I'm asking because my partner and I are convinced an enlarged prostate is causing all his problems but he has no urinary restriction. He can feel something down low, an uncomfortable sensation as he describes it, almost like he is sitting on a ball if that makes sense?? Could it be possible that it is only enlarged in that one area?

• Posted

Yes, caz, apparently the prostate can grow in different directions both inwards and outwards. Some people have very big prostate(100cc+) and no problems while other still have relatively small enlarged prostates(75cc) but have serious urine flow issues. It all depends where the prostate is growing and if it is affecting the urethra. Apparently, the prostate does not have much room to grow outwards without coming against other structures, especially the bladder. As it grows, if inwards for whatever reason AND it presses on the urethra, then guys have problems. Many guys have the prostate growing upwards into the bladder base.

On Tuesday, I had a Cystoscopy to check out my urethra and bladder. I have a meeting with urologist in a few weeks to discuss. But, he did leave with me some picture he took and shows a urethra stricture? and bladder with some tiny wart type things...Like my MRI episode, I need to do some research to understand what I am seeing, as I am sure they must be of some importance for him to leave them with me. 

I recall him saying before I went under, "If anything serious, I will see you afterwards. If nothing serious, then we can discuss a plan of action at our next appointment.

?Geoff

• Posted

when i had a cystoscopy done recently  pictures were left with me but i new my prostate was enlarged. uro was just taking another test since i was going to have surgery and the last one i had was 4 years ago. i had my turp surgery 5 weeks ago today and they also left me photos of the repaired prostate. when i saw my uro he went over the pics with me to show me the before and after. Good luck and hope he tells you good news.
    • Posted

The pics seem the usual thing, as I noticed all participants in the recovery area having their coffee, sandwiches and cake were all looking at their pics. Good idea for the before and after shots. 
    • Posted

Buddy of mines was normal size. Had a ton of tests. Finally he stopped peeing one day. Couldn't take it went to ER. Couldn't Cath him ended up in OR . It grew inward. Doc told him they took out enough material to make another prostate. Mine was big. They took a bunch out. It squeezed back in on itself. Had to have more taken out.

• Posted

Yes, here, at least with my urologist, it is not done with local. You are out for about 15 minutes. 
    • Posted

I had it done twice and was awake. It wasn't bad at all. It's alot smaller than the Foley 3 way Cath they put in after surgery.

• Posted

Yes, I have had a Foley 3 way cath before a couple of times, That sort of fills in the gaps....I only saw the scope gear on a bench, and agree, it looked quite slim. Not sure why they knock you out for it. When I came round, I was covered in a iodine looking stuff. Not sure if it was a lubricant or antiseptic?

Has taken a few days for the urethra to settle back. After a couple of DVIU sessions many years ago, not looking forward to his next plan, as he maybe planning much more. 

• Posted

Usually after a scope or Cath my doc gives me a huge cipro. Hate those things.
  • Posted

Good for you John, I am 62 and just had turp surgery 30 days ago. You are a lucky man to have such good prostate health. Just like the other guys said have a psa test to find out how healthy your prostate is. It is just a blood test, no snapping glove. Remember it is ok to be large as long as it is not in the center area around the aretha and bladder. Be good sir.
  • Posted

John,

A lot of 71 year olds would like your experience...~ 60% of older men have enlarged prostates that require treatment in order to function normally...So you're blessed by not being a member of that group..I'm not a doctor, but based on forum comments, if you started to experience urination problems, drugs may be able to cure that....GOOD LUCK!...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.