Enlarged prostate

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

I just needed some peace of mind.

Around 18 months ago I had the frequent need urinate this cleared up on its own after a few days.

In the last 6 weeks it has been happening a lot and have been to doctor and they have said I have enlarged prostate. I have been made an appointment with urologist. Doctor said psa test were fine.

Since then I have lower back ache, leg pain down thigh front and back and I think it's testicle discomfort but it's hard to pin point.

I am 39 years old but wondered if anyone has had these symptoms and what the outcome has been been

Am petrified

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had some of those symptoms. BUT I was52 and that was concidered young. My prostate was big. AND I had weak stream and only peeing a third of my bladder. That can cause the kidney pain, sometimes infection. Frequent urination can be cause your not emptying your bladder as well. It may be nothing. Uro may do a couple tests that are not bad at all. Not sure how far he will go . Do you feel your emptying your bladder when you urinate? Weak stream or not? Hesitation starting? Any pain? ... These are usually his first questions.
    • Posted

Hi.

Thank you for replying. 9 times out of 10 it's a Normal pee it's just that the frequency that is doing my head in and never any pain

The dicosmfort started in my right testicle and now radiates around pelvis and inner thigh. Occasionally in lower back.

What happened to you? How was it relieved?

I also have a scan for hernia next week but I'm not sure that is an issue.

The gp literally said that I have a enlarged prostate. I had to ask him to refer me as he weren't that interested.

Can a prostrate grow and shrink? It's strange because I get this urgency feeling only now and again? My urine test were all fine and blood test fine

I did forget to mention that I do take lvethyroxine for thyroid - would that have made any impact?

You are right though. I feel a bit young(ish) to be having these conditions

I was reading that prostatitis caused these symptoms but enlarged prostate didn't. So confused and a bit frightened

• Posted

Hey Kris, it sounds to me like you have a pretty good classic case of prostatitis.  There are LOTS of us here on the forums who have suffered with it for years. If you will look here on the forum, there are several threads dedicated to it, Read up on it before you go to the uro, to make sure you get the correct and enough antibiotics. You usually need 4-6 weeks to clear it up. But if you do not insist on that most Docs will not give them to you for that long.

Read read and read on this forum on prostatitis before you go to the Doc.

Good luck J

• Posted

Thanks buddy. That's really helpful.

I get scared reading too much on line hence the panic now but in a word it's just awful.

I am seeing urologist Friday so I will take your advice and have a read! The joys of it. Will let you know what happens

I truly appreciate your advice and recommendation

Thank you

Kris

• Posted

You are very welcome. Lots of guys in the same boat as you. And unfortunately so many docs act like it's nothing serious and just half ass treat it. You have to be persistent with most of them.

Good luck on Friday

• Posted

I got that impression. He didn't actually want to refer me just said it's a hernia and I I want to be referred them to tell him. ..... so I did.

Is enlarged the same as prostatitis?

Thank you

• Posted

NO it is not the same thing. You can have both but from the sound of your symptoms and your age I doubt it is true BPH. It is most likely swollen due to the infection.
    • Posted

Would that also cause the pelvic and leg discomfort?
    • Posted

ALso if infected would that be why it would be larger?
    • Posted

Absolutely, and low back pain. It affects everyone differently.
    • Posted

Yes most likely that is why it is enlarged, and most of the time the doc will say it feels spongy.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am so confused with all this!!

I do appreciate your comments. Fingers crossed for Friday

• Posted

He told me to try some herba medecine. He mentioned Palmetto and nettles?

What has helped you? These symptoms are rubbish!

• Posted

If it is an infection none of those things will do much good. The prostate is very hard to get antibiotics into, that's why you usually need a long course of them.

Like I said read up on prostatitis BEFORE you see the doc. It's a crap shoot when going to a urologist if he will take it seriously, so the more informed you are, the more likely he will be to take it seriously.

Let us know how it goes

• Posted

Well in my case surgery had to be done. I had restriction and retention. The uro will be able to answer alot of your questions.
    • Posted

I tried saw pallmetto and it did nothink. Never tried anything else
    • Posted

Hi

I am sure both Saw Palmetto and SNRE (Stinging Nettle Root Extract ) have helped me both before and since having a PAE in the UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.