ENT question

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me shed some light on what actually happens in an ENT appointment regarding Ménière's? My doctor thinks I have Ménière's and I was referred on 4th October 2016. I contacted the hospital to see how long the NHS wait time was for an ENT appointment and was so shocked to find that it is 18 months. I am considering paying private for it, the initial appointment is £160 and I was wondering what tests will the ENT consultant send me for as I am worried about the cost.

I have already had a brain ct scan done and it was all clear. I am taking serc 16 three times a day and so far it is helping greatly with symptoms.

Should I wait the 18 months and remain on these meds or continue with a private appointment?

I also have tinnitus and at present have a bad cold so my ears are very bunged up and humming is loud.. I difinately understand the phrase 'silence is deafening' now... as it drives me nuts. Plus I am worried about my hearing. I am 39.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

After my experience with ENT last week I certainly wouldn't pay

• Posted

Oh dear that's awful. Thanks for replying.

• Posted

You will at least have an audiogram done.

The waiting depends.  It could get better on its own, it could stay the same or it could progress.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I'm hoping you might be able to help me I was diagnosed with Meniers about 10 years ago but last week the ENT consultant decided it could be Migraine Aura so I am now waiting to see a Neurologist and I was just wondering if they both have the same symptoms ??

• Posted

Have you done an audiogram?  This will help differentiate between the two.

• Posted

I had 2 tests 1 revealed my hearing has deteriorated ( which I knew it had ) and the other revealed negative pressure the ENT Doctor said they weren't relevant 

• Posted

Was the hearing loss high frequency or low frequency, in one ear or both ears?

• Posted

Both ears but right ear the worst as far as frequency sorry don't recall them saying anything 

• Posted

Can you find out?  This is very important.  This way I will be able to tell you whether you have Meniere's Disease or Vestibular Migraine?

• Posted

I will get in touch with my GP see if they have received the report yet, they hadn't on Friday I will get back to you on Monday. Thank you 

• Posted

I was told, along with my Meniers and bppv, that I also have a vessel loop in my right ear. My ent thinks it's serious but the skull base ent says not to worry about it. I don't get as ill as some other people, but I am concerned. What do you think?

• Posted

It seems unlikely to have all three, although not impossible.  Are your vertigo symptoms triggered by something or spontaneous, and if triggered, by what?  Also, how frequent are your episodes?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It would be great to have an audiology referral in between waiting for an ENT appointment.
    • Posted

This is why I am doubtful if my Meniers diagnosis. I did have an MRI showing the vessel loop. I do not have any food triggers that I know of. I only get true vertigo a few times a year. Mostly I have tinnitus and my balance is bad. I cannot turn my head and look under anything. I will fall over. If I look left, I walk left. So I really have to be mindful of every step. I still work and drive. I just modify my movements at work. I still think this is all related to a car accident I had in 2007. Symptoms started within a year of that.
    • Posted

is the tinnitus on the same side as the vessel loop?  When you look left, is there hearing loss at the same time when you loose balance, and is this hearing loss on the same side as the vessel loop?

• Posted

Bilateral hearing loss, bilateral tinnitus. No increased hearing loss when looking left. I have increased vertigo if I lay on my right side. That is where the loop is. It just takes a small push to knock me off balance. Like passing someone and accidentally getting bumped. Looking up too far throws me off.
    • Posted

Finding such a loop can be coincidental sometimes, and not always related to a patient's symptoms.  Because you have bilateral symptoms, is tends to seem unlikely that the loop is the cause of your problems.  Also, the low frequency of vertigo episodes also argues against this loop as the problem.  What did your audiograms show?  In what frequencies (high or low) is the hearing loss in?

• Posted

I will have to check on my next visit. I think it may be the high tones. The skull base doc said the same thing. Just a coincidence to find the loop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.