Epilepsy and lack of sleep 😴

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone else with Frontal Lobe Epilepsy suffers from insomnia and is there anything I could do to help myself apart from all the usual obvious stuff. I am on the train heading to work on under an hours sleep and am already panicking about what today will bring seizure wise as I am bound to have lots of Simple Partials on such little sleep 🙄

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've had epilepsy my entire life. As well as sleep issues. For the most part, my seizures come from my left temporal lobe. My Doctor prescribed Xanex for my extreme auras I have previous to my seizures. But I have learned that the xanex helps me sleep. My doctor keeps prescribing sleep meds, that don't work. Perhaps the anxiety, that accompanies my seizures, as well as my insomnia, should direct my doctor in another direction. Melatonin( sold everywhere) helps a little bit, when I'm sick and have to take prescribed meds, I get some extra sleep then as well. My neurologist is labeled as one of the best in the world, but there are a few of us that can't get pointed entirely in the good direction. You're lucky to be able to work, and live somewhat of a normal life. I'm an electrical engineer, with no job, no live of my own. Almost forty years old and living with my parents because my daughters need more than just me. Ever since I was thirteen, I read every book I could find about epilepsy, it has helped me so much. So that is the best advise I have for you. Dig deep, then talk to your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi Melissa, the dr has now given me something to help me sleep but it makes me feel horrible 🙄 I'm am still on a phased return to work so only doing 3 days a week but I'm not always even managing that, which really worries me 😢

• Posted

My son has temporal lobe epilepsy, his sleep has been affected for a long time, even before the epilepsy diagnosis, he is constantly tired and his sleep pattern is erratic and it takes a toll on him, doctors have said there is nothing he can take for it, he's all over the place bless him!

• Posted

Aww I can sympathise with him, it's awful! I bought herbal Nytol today so going to give that a shot-fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.