Erythema Nodosum

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with EN almost a year ago.  They first told me it was caused by an allergic reaction to a birth control. Yes some of my symptoms got better after taking it like my joint pain but I still get the raised bumps that hurt so bad all over my body the only place I have not gotten them are on my face and stomach.  Has anyone had other sypmtoms like uncontrolable chills, fever, and night sweats  everyday and the sypmtoms last anywhere from 4-6 hours.  I never know what time of day it will happen but its usually in the afternoon.  The night sweats are at night of course.  They have tested me for any underlining condition that might be causing it and nothing!  I have been on prednesone off and on for almost a year and feel great when I am on it but can never make it more then two weeks without it.  I know prednesone is not good for you and can cause health issues so I am really hoping I can find a medicine that will work.  They currently have me on Plaquinell but it could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to work sad  I feel like I will never be able to live my life!!  I have 4 kids, husband, and a full time job!!  Someone somewhere has to have answers. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I know that many women get EN during pregnancy. Have you had your hormone levels checked?
  • Posted

No I have not had my hormone levels checked.  Well I guess I have had my throid checked.
  • Posted

Maybe the next time you get a blood test, ask the doctor to include a check of your estrogen level.
  • Posted

I think I might have this. I just started a new birth control and was on it for 2 months and stopped after bad underarm and breast pain. I also had the leg pain, and it did start after I started taking the pills. I also have Fibromyalgia which doesn't help either. 
    • Posted

Hi RoyalGeek,

In my case it also started after using birth control pills. With help from my gynaecologist we started experimenting hormones: linoral (Ethynil estradiol) pills (high dose) helped very well. Unfortunately, I may not take these hormones anymore, due to trombosis (familiar).

• Posted

Hi Krista. My name is Clare and I have recurrent erythema nodosum with joint and bone pains and bacterial chest infections.No chest x-ray or blood test has revealed the cause and it always flares worse on the arms than my legs. Unusual. This latest round has been going since mid-Jan. I woke again with fever, chest-pain and the most awful cough which is now productive-muck! Did you get any triggers identified? x

• Posted

No triggers that I am aware of.  I went to the May Clinic in April in hopes to finding answers.. I didn't have any real big active bumps at the time not good ones to biopsy.  So the plan now is to stay on my plaquineill, melixicam, and I am on a long term antibiotic.  I have been free of fever, chills, and night sweats for almost 2 months.  I still do have red spots on my legs that are painful and come and go.  I am waiting to get a good size one then I was told to go to my local dermetologist and get a deep tissue biopsy done.  From there they can diagnose and treat. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.