Erythema nodosum - no cause

Posted , 4 users are following.

I feel so helpless... my leg is swollen and red,  and appear like the photos in the wikipedia [key words:Erythema nodosum]. When I press on part of the swollen area, it turns white for 1 or 2 seconds before turning into its original color. I have seen a few doctors and they told me that it is probably Erythema nodosum. I have not done any biopsy yet. They told me that it might not be 100% cured. Applying steroids onto my skin is not really effective; what's worse, the thickness of my skin is obviously reduced after applying. I am just a 17-year-old girl. I really don't want my leg to be like that.  I feel so sad and depressed. What should I do now?  Does anybody also have the same problem?

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I'm 27 my first case was when I was 18 it lasted aroubd a year, come back when I was 27 and is still here everything that should work for it didn't with me, after 2 years of being used as a test dummy I asked then to give me a Break from all treatment. Lumps are faded but you can see where the marks use to be. Australia doctor couldn't do any more for me but if they come back then I'm to be seen again as I have a chronic case

• Posted

http://www.pneumonologia.gr/articlefiles/Erythema%20Nodosum%20Review.pdf

I have it too but mine is infection related. It is an immune system response that can be from birth control pills, pregnancy, virus, bacterial, fungus, or parasite. That narrows it down right? Do lots of your own research (I've attached an article) and mentally take care of yourself. Also associated symptoms can help pinpoint the problem. If it's ongoing you need to find a doctor who cares a little more and will listen to your symptoms as 35-55% of the time it's hard to find a cause.There are some treatments that help. I can send more articles if you are still going through it. Take care.

• Posted

Hey there. Im 26 years old. I have EN for almost 14years. I know how you feel and it's really hard especially that the nodules just grow out of the blue. I already did tried a lot of medications but they're not effective. I did blood tests like ANA ESR CRP CBC but the results are insignificant. Actually i get to the point that I'll just have to accept that my EN is idiopathic.  But hey, dont get depressed. Just try to do some lab tests so that they can trace the underlying cause of that. Just try to avoid stressors take enough rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.