Erythromelalgia like symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.  I am beginner here - and have had ET/PV diagnosed when I was 22/23 years old.  I am 43 now.  Most of the years I have had no symptoms - and have "survived" well on low dose aspirin.

I started with phlebotomies in 2013 due to rising rbc.  Did it for a year or so - but as an active cyclist I chose to stop phlebotomies due to physical capacity.  

Last year - in february - I had to start up again with phlebotomies as my hc was high.  A week after first phlebotomy I started to feel warmth and tingling/needles in my feet at night under the sheet.  Since then I have been struggling with feet becoming warm (or warmer), red and tingly/slightly painful whenever it is warm in the surroundings.

In colder surroundings, my feet and hands/fingers, become very cold and whitish.

Anybody else struggling with the same?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello there. 

I am a British woman and in my sixties. About this time last year the fingers in my left hand began to turn a dusky blue, and a few months later on snow white, whenever I went out into the cold. In April, I was diagnosed with PV and initially offered venesections and aspirin as treatment. I had high rbc, high wbc and high platelets. After about nine months or so the rbc and wbc had been reduced but, of course, the platelets remained high.  The blueness/whiteness stopped though the haematologists were rather surprised that it lasted so long. 

Over the same period I began to experience a strange sensation in my feet, as though they had soda water flowing through the veins rather than blood, if that makes any sense. I still have this odd feeling more or less all the time. I am lucky not to have any sensation of heat.

I don't know if that rings any bells with you. I have so far refused offers of hydroxycarbamide and just keep taking aspirin and going along for venesections every once in a while.

I hope others here will be able ro help you more.

• Posted

Hi Sverre,

my feet was having tingling about 2 months ago, I soak my feed in warm water, I add about 1/2 cup of epson salt into that warm water. soak for around 20 minutes. I do this once a week. it works for me.....Richard Law Houston Texas

• Posted

l'm going to give that a go.

l've been training for Oxfam - 63 mile walk in 48 hours - just walked 33 miles on the weekend (16 miles each day0 and both my feet are tingling and sore especially around my toes and balls of my feet.

l get the tingling in a mild form all the time but the increased walking has increased it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.